Bourbon in Kentucky
|"Bourbon in Kentucky"|
|Single by Dierks Bentley|
|from the album Riser|
|Released||June 10, 2013|
|Writer(s)||Ryan Tyndell, Hillary Lindsey, Gordie Sampson|
|Dierks Bentley singles chronology|
"Bourbon in Kentucky" is a song written by Ryan Tyndell, Hillary Lindsey, and Gordie Sampson, and recorded by American country music singer Dierks Bentley with backing vocals by Kacey Musgraves. It is the first single from his seventh studio album, Riser. The song peaked at #45 on Country Airplay six weeks after its release date, becoming Bentley's lowest charting single.
Bentley told Great American Country, "I’ve never heard anything like ‘Bourbon’ before…I really love the angst of it. I’ve been there before where you can’t drink your way through a heartache or a broken heart. There’s such an aggressive lonesomeness in this song."
Jon Freeman of Country Weekly gave the song an "A", comparing its production to both U2 and Bentley's late 2011-early 2012 single "Home". He also praised the lyric as "a tried-but-true drinkin’ and cryin’ lyric for something that manages to sound modern without feeling uncomfortably shoehorned in there." Matt Bjorke of Roughstock also compared the production style to U2, and said that "The melody is appropriately moody as it matches the lyrics about a man who doesn't have any way of getting over and past a relationship, as he's clearly lost without the love of his life." Giving it 4 stars out of 5, Billy Dukes of Taste of Country said that "Lyrically, ‘Bourbon in Kentucky’ breaks no new ground, but the atmosphere created in studio is like nothing released to country radio before."
When the song was released in June 2014, a music video for it was filmed and it had to be released later on. The single slid quickly off the charts, with the label promoting Bentley's next single, 'I Hold On'. The music video remained unreleased until it premiered in February 2014 as 'Bourbon in Kentucky - The Lost Video. It was directed by Ryan Pallotta.
The song debuted at #56 on Country Airplay the week of its release. After a slow climb, it peaked at #45 on its sixth week on the chart, before dropping to #48 and then falling down the charts, thus becoming Bentley's lowest-charting single.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||40|
|US Country Airplay (Billboard)||45|
- Wyland, Sarah (29 May 2013). "Dierks Bentley’s “Bourbon In Kentucky” is Lead Single from Riser". Great American Country. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Freeman, Jon (21 June 2013). "“Bourbon in Kentucky” by Dierks Bentley". Country Weekly. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Bjorke, Matt (28 May 2013). "Single Review: Dierks Bentley - Bourbon In Kentucky". Roughstock. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Dukes, Billy (28 May 2013). "Dierks Bentley (Feat. Kacey Musgraves), ‘Bourbon in Kentucky’ – Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "CMT : Videos : Dierks Bentley : Bourbon in Kentucky". Country Music Television. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Dierks Bentley.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Airplay for Dierks Bentley.