Boys (Summertime Love)
|"Boys (Summertime Love)"|
|Single by Sabrina|
|from the album Sabrina|
|B-side||"Get Ready (Holiday Rock)"|
|Released||29 May 1987|
|Format||7" single, 12" single|
|Genre||Italo disco, Hi-NRG, Freestyle|
|Writer(s)||M.Bonsanto, R.Rossi, C.Cecchetto, M.Charlton, A Gill|
|Producer(s)||Claudio Cecchetto, mixed by M. Bonsanto and R. Rossi|
|Certification||Gold SNEP, 1988|
|Sabrina singles chronology|
"Boys (Summertime Love)" is a song recorded by Italian singer Sabrina. It was released in May 1987 as the third single from her eponymous album and achieved great success in many countries, including Spain, Switzerland, France and Italy, where it was a number-one single. It was Sabrina's first single to be released in the UK, where it reached number 3.
The song was re-released as a remixed version twice: in France in 1995, retitled as "Boys '95", and in 2003 as "Boys Boys Boys (The Dance Remixes)".
Part of the success of the song is due to its music video, filmed at the Florida hotel in Jesolo (Veneto, Italy). In it, Sabrina splashes about in a swimming pool, while her bikini top keeps sliding down, thus revealing parts of her nipples. It remains one of the most downloaded videoclips on the Internet.
During an interview with Nino Firetto on the Music Box program on Super Channel in late 1988, Sabrina explained that the video for "Boys" was originally created to be a segment in a magazine show. This was Sabrina's explanation of why its style more closely matched that of Italian magazine shows of the time (more overtly sexy) than that of the traditional music video.
It was also a big hit in France, staying for five weeks at number one. The single debuted at number 29 and remained on the French SNEP Singles Chart for 25 weeks from December 12, 1987 to May 28, 1988. Sabrina was the only pin-up girl at that time to reach the top of the charts in France, as opposed to the French Lova Moor and the British Samantha Fox. Certified Gold disc by the SNEP, the single was the first number one by an Italian singer. According to the Infodisc Website, the song is the 292nd best-selling single of all time in France, with 683,000 copies sold. It also reached number three in the UK Singles Chart (despite, or perhaps because of, the video's ban there) and number 11 in Australia.
- 7" single Chic
- "Boys (Summertime Love)" – 3:56
- "Get Ready (Holiday Rock)" – 3:20
- 7" single Dureco Benelux
- "Boys (Summertime Love)" – 3:30
- "Get Ready (Holiday Rock)" – 3:30
- 12" single
- "Boys (Summertime Love)" (extended mix) – 5:40
- "Boys (Summertime Love)" (dub version) – 5:35
- "Get Ready (Holiday Rock)" – 3:30
- CD single – 1995 release
- "Boys '95" (Radio Lovers Remix) – 5:36
- "Boys '95" (N.Y.D.P. Mix) – 3:40
Charts and sales
Certifications and sales
"Étienne" by Guesch Patti
|French SNEP number one single
February 6, 1988 – March 5, 1988 (5 weeks)
"Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You"
by Glenn Medeiros
"La Bamba" by Los Lobos
|Swiss number-one single
September 13, 1987 – October 11, 1987 (5 weeks)
"You Win Again" by Bee Gees
- Japanese pop singer Aya Sugimoto's 1988 debut single was a cover version of the song. An alternate version, using the original English lyrics and entitled "Boys (Tokyo Mix)", appears on Sugimoto's debut album Aya.
- In 1989 and 2013 respectively, Cantonese singers Yolinda Yan and Hacken Lee covered the song in Cantonese.
- In 1994, the song was covered by French punk/alternative rock band Ludwig von 88 on their album 17 plombs pour péter les tubes.
- The Cheeky Girls released a version of the song called "Boys and Girls (Christmas Time Love)".
- In 1994, Bollywood movie Khuddar covered the song. Two versions were released, "Sexy Sexy" and "Baby, Baby".
- In 2001, the song was covered by Rimini Project, a dance trio based in Austria.
- In 2002, Bulgarian rap group Upsurt covered it with different lyrics as "John" and included it on their album Chekai malko.
- In 2007, Chinese singer He Jie covered the song, titled "Boys".
- Slovak duo TWiiNS released a cover version of the song in January 2010, under the title "Boys Boys Boys", featuring German rapper Carlprit, and filmed in the same swimming pool where the original video took place, in Jesolo (Italy).
- In 2011, Finnish singer Sansa recorded a folk version of the song and included it on her album Savior. Sabrina herself made a cameo appearance on the music video of the song.
- In 2012, the song was covered by 2 Atrevidas (Spanish for "2 Naughties"). The duo consists of Sonia Monroy and Yola Berrocal.
- In 2013, the song was covered by Georgian model and actress Shorena Begashvili on a Georgian TV show.
- "La Discothèque du 20è siècle", 1988, Polygram Dierct, p. 15
- Nos années Top, clips et 45 tours : 1984–1991, Marc Lemonier, 2008, p. 75 (ISBN 2-258-07648-X)
- Sabrina's biography MCM.net (Retrieved December 12, 2007)
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, 2002, p. 123 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- Alex P. King, Hit-parade, 20 ans de tubes, 2005, Pascal Ed., p. 9 (ISBN 978-2-35019-009-9) Vingt ans de tubes (Retrieved April 23, 2008)
- Best selling-singles of all times in France Infodisc.fr (Retrieved December 12, 2007)
- "Australian-charts.com – Sabrina – Boys". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Sabrina – Boys" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Sabrina – Boys" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- Pennanen, Timo (2006). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 978-951-1-21053-5.
- "Lescharts.com – Sabrina – Boys" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chartverfulgong > Sabrina > Boys – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Singles Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved January 17, 2008)
- Italian Single Chart Hit parade Italia (Retrieved May 30, 2008)
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Sabrina search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Sabrina – Boys". VG-lista.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- http://rock.co.za/files/springbok_top_20_(S).html Retrieved 6 January 2014
- "Swedishcharts.com – Sabrina – Boys". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Sabrina – Boys". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Boys (Summertime Love)", UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved July 14, 2009)
- 1987 Bangian Flanders Singles Chart ultratop.be (Retrieved February 26, 2014)
- "Single top 100 over 1987" (pdf) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved September 21, 2010.
- 1987 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved April 20, 2008)
- 1988 Australian Singles Chart aria.com (Retrieved April 20, 2008)
- Sales and certifications for singles in France, database Infodisc.fr (Retrieved December 9, 2007)
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Sabrina; 'Boy's')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved April 20, 2008.
- UNSUPPORTED OR EMPTY REGION: UK.
- "Boys (Summertime Love) Official Videoclip". @ Youtube.