||This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)
Charles Grant was a game author who helped popularize the hobby of tabletop wargaming. He is best known as the author of The War Game.
Born in Scotland, and served in the Royal Air Force in World War 2. Later in Scotland Yard's Special Branch. Contributor to Military Modelling and Battle. Sometime editor of Slingshot the Journal of the Society of Ancients.
He has had influence amongst the designers of Warhammer Ancient Battles. Jeff Jonas describes his writings as inspirational.
Died May 1979. He is survived by his son Charles S. Grant, who is also a published wargamer.
- ^ Alexander the Great source book by Jeff Jonas p2, pub Warhammer Historical
- Battle: Practical Wargaming, Charles Grant, Model and Allied Publications, 1970.
- The War Game, Charles Grant, A. & C. Black, 1971, (Back in print as on May 2008)
- The Ancient War Game, Charles Grant, A. & C. Black, 1974, ISBN 0-7136-1448-X.
- Battle of Fontenoy (Background books for wargamers and modellers) 1975
- Napoleonic Wargaming, Charles Grant, Model and Allied Publications, 1974. (To be re-publisheed by Caliver Books, Summer 2008)
- Ancient Battles for Wargamers, Charles Grant, Model and Allied Publications, 1977. ISBN 0-85242-553-8
- Wargame Tactics, Charles Grant, Cassell, 1979. ISBN 0-304-30470-0