Charles Townshend, 8th Marquess Townshend
|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the Guide to deletion.
|The Most Honourable
The Marquess Townshend
Arms of the Marquesses Townshend
|Born||Charles George Townshend
26 September 1945
|Title||8th Marquess Townshend|
|Predecessor||7th Marquess Townshend|
|Spouse(s)||Hermione Ponsonby (died)
Alison Marshall, née Combs
Charles George Townshend, 8th Marquess Townshend (born 26 September 1945) is the elder son of George Townshend, 7th Marquess Townshend, and his first wife Elizabeth Pamela Audrey (d. 1989), daughter of Thomas Luby. He was styled Viscount Raynham until he succeeded his father on 23 April 2010.
In 1975 Townshend married Hermione Ponsonby (1945–1985), daughter of Lt. Cmdr. Robert Martin Dominic Ponsonby, RN, of the family of the Earls of Bessborough, who died in a motor accident in 1985. In 1990 Townshend married Alison Marshall, née Combs, daughter of Sir Willis Ide Combs, KCVO, CMG.
By his first wife, Townshend has two children:
- Thomas Charles, Viscount Raynham (b. 1977), married 15 April 2011 St Mary's Church, Kingsclere, Hampshire to Miss Octavia Christina Legge (b. 3 February 1980), daughter of Mr and Mrs Christopher Legge, of Kingsclere, Hampshire. Miss Legge's family family is apparently unrelated to the earls of Dartmouth, as far as researched.
- Lady Louise Elizabeth Townshend, now Lady Louise Da Paixao (b. 1979), married (2006) Edson Da Paixao.
The current Marquess holds the subsidiary titles Viscount Townshend, of Raynham in the County of Norfolk (created 1682) and Baron Townshend, of Lynn Regis in the County of Norfolk (created 1661) both of which in the Peerage of England. He is also a Baronet, of Raynham in the County of Norfolk (created 1617). As the subsidiary titles are of the same name as the primary title, the Viscountcy has been called "Viscount Raynham" and the Barony "Baron Lynn".
- Allan Freer. "Conqueror 89" from The Conqueror database.
- "The Raynham Family History. Chapter 15 "The Raynhams of Norfolk"
- No references have been listed thanks to Wikipedia's new (new for me anyway) spam filter policy, preventing me from listing links.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl (2007). "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- Allan Freer. "Conqueror 89" from The Conqueror database, in an older version.
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Most Hon. The Marquess
The Most Hon. The Marquess Townshend
The Most Hon. The Marquess