City of Canada Bay
|City of Canada Bay
New South Wales
Location in Metropolitan Sydney
|• Density||3,822.55/km2 (9,900.4/sq mi)|
|Area||19.82 km2 (7.7 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Angelo Tsirekas (Labor)|
The City of Canada Bay is a local government area in the Inner West of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. The city was formed in December 2000, following the merger of Concord and Drummoyne councils. Today, the city has a resident population of 75,763 and covers 19.82 square kilometres (7.65 sq mi). The city is ultimately named after Canada Bay, a bay on the Parramatta River.
Postcode and localities in the local government area
Suburbs in the City of Canada Bay are:
Some of the localities in the City of Canada Bay are:
At the 2011 Census, there were 75,763 people in the Canada Bay local government area, of these 48.6% were male and 51.4% were female. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 0.4% of the population. The median age of people in the City of Canada Bay was 37 years. Children aged 0 – 14 years made up 16.8% of the population and people aged 65 years and over made up 13.8% of the population. Of people in the area aged 15 years and over, 51.5% were married and 9.4% were either divorced or separated.
Population growth in the City of Canada Bay between the 2001 Census and the 2006 Census was 10.73%; and in the subsequent five years to the 2011 Census, population growth was 15.24%. When compared with total population growth of Australia for the same periods, being 5.78% and 8.32% respectively, population growth in Canada Bay local government area was significantly higher than the national average. The median weekly income for residents within the City of Canada Bay is significantly higher than the national average.
|Selected historical census data for Canada Bay local government area|
|Population||Estimated residents on Census night||59,371||65,742||75,763|
|LGA rank in terms of size within New South Wales|
|% of New South Wales population||1.10%|
|% of Australian population||0.32%||0.33%||0.35%|
|Cultural and language diversity|
(other than English)
|Median weekly incomes|
|Personal income||Median weekly personal income||A$664||A$782|
|% of Australian median income||142.5%||135.5%|
|Family income||Median weekly family income||A$1,510||A$2,152|
|% of Australian median income||147.0%||145.3%|
|Household income||Median weekly household income||A$1,773||A$1,817|
|% of Australian median income||151.4%||147.2%|
Current composition and election method
Canada Bay City Council is composed of nine Councillors, including the Mayor, for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is directly elected while the eight other Councillors are elected proportionally as one ward. The most recent election was held on 8 September 2012, and the makeup of the Council, including the Mayor, is as follows:
|Australian Labor Party||4|
|Liberal Party of Australia||4|
The current Council, elected in 2012, in order of election, is:
|Pauline Tyrrell||The Greens|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Canada Bay (A)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Where is the City of Canada Bay?". City of Canada Bay Council. Retrieved 19 March 2008.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "Concord (A)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "Drummoyne (A)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Canada Bay (A)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "City of Canada Bay Council - Mayoral Election". Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Candidates in Sequence of Election Report: Canada Bay Council" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- City of Canada Bay website
- Suburbs of Canada Bay
- Archived site with a brief history of the area
- Canada in Australia: Canadian Department of Foreign and International Affairs