New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|• Density||87.67/km2 (227.06/sq mi)|
|Area||484 km2 (186.9 sq mi)|
Ballina Shire is a local government area in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Australia. The Shire was formed in 1976 by the amalgamation of the Municipality of Ballina and Tintenbar Shire. The Shire is located adjacent to the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Highway. The Council seat is located in the town of Ballina.
Towns and localities
- Bagotville (shared with Lismore)
- Cabbage Tree Island
- Empire Vale
- Marom Creek (shared with Lismore)
- McLeans Ridge
- Meerschaum Vale
- Newrybar (shared with Byron)
- South Ballina
In the 2006 Census of Population and Housing, there were 38,461 usual residents living in Ballina Shire. Of this count, 18,463 (or 49%) were males and 19,998 (or 52%) were females. By age, 19% of the population was under 15 years old, 62% were between 15 and 65, and 20% were over 65 years old. Most people living in Ballina Shire were born in Australia (85%). The median age was 43 years.
According to the 2006 Census of Population and Housing, the median individual income was $397 per week (equal to approximately $20,701 per year). The median family income in 2006 was $1,017 per week (equal to approximately $53,029 per year); and, the median household income in 2006 was $779 per week (equal to approximately $40,619 per year).
There were 16,215 people employed in 2006 (to give an employment to working age population ratio of 0.68), and 1,270 people unemployed. The most common occupations were Professionals (19%); Technicians and Trades Workers (15%); and, Managers (14%). The top 5 industries for employment were School Education (6.6%); Cafes, Restaurants and Takeaway Food Services (4.3%); Hospitals (3.4%); Supermarket and Grocery Stores (3.1%); and, Residential Care Services (2.7%).
The Shire Council owns and operates Ballina Airport.
In the 2006 Census of Population and Housing, the median housing loan repayment was $1,290 per month. This equated to marginally under 41% of median household income. The median rent in 2006 was $210 per week. This equated to just under 27% of median household income. The average household size was 2.4 persons.
Current composition and election method
Ballina Shire Council is composed of ten Councillors, including the Mayor, for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is directly elected while the nine other Councillors are elected proportionally as three separate wards, each electing three Councillors. The most recent election was held on 8 September 2012, and the makeup of the Council, including the Mayor, is as follows:
The current Council, elected in 2012, in order of election by ward, is:
|Ward A||Sue Meehan||Independent|
|Robyn Horden||Independent||Deputy Mayor|
|Ward B||Sharon Cadwallader||Independent|
|Ward C||Paul Worth||Independent|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 March 2010). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2008–09". Archived from the original on 5 June 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Ballina Shire Council". New South Wales Division of Local Government. Retrieved 2006-11-22.
- "Ballina Shire Council - Mayoral Election". Local Government Election 2012. New South Wales Electoral Commission. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Ballina Shire Council - A Ward: Summary of First Preference and Group Votes for each Candidate". Local Government Election 2012. New South Wales Electoral Commission. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Ballina Shire Council - B Ward: Summary of First Preference and Group Votes for each Candidate". Local Government Election 2012. New South Wales Electoral Commission. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Ballina Shire Council - C Ward: Summary of First Preference and Group Votes for each Candidate". Local Government Election 2012. New South Wales Electoral Commission. 14 September 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.