Clues (Robert Palmer album)
|Studio album by Robert Palmer|
|Recorded||Compass Point Studios, New Providence, Bahamas|
|Genre||Rock, synthpop, new wave|
|Robert Palmer chronology|
Clues is Robert Palmer's sixth solo studio album, released in 1980. It has a rockier, new wave edge compared to his previous releases. The album peaked at number 59 on the Billboard Top Pop Albums chart and #31 in the UK in 1980. The album also peaked at #1 in Sweden, #3 in France, #15 in the Netherlands and #42 in Italy. Donald Guarisco of Allmusic described Clues as "one of Robert Palmer's strongest and most consistent albums", despite being somewhat short at 31 minutes.
Palmer, who played percussion on Talking Heads' Remain in Light, had the favor returned when the band's drummer Chris Frantz played drums on Clues. Andy Fraser, the former bassist of Free and the author of Palmer's first break through single "Every Kinda People", played bass on the album on two songs. New Wave icon Gary Numan co-wrote a song with Palmer (another co-writer appeared on Maybe It's Live) and played keyboards on a remake of his own song "I Dream of Wires". This was first issued on CD in 1985 when Island's catalog was issued under Wea manufacturing the wea pressings are sought after collector's items.
The video to the first track on the album, "Looking for Clues", aired on MTV's first day of broadcasting, on August 1, 1981.
The album was certified Gold in Germany by BMieV in 1992.
'I Dream of Wires' was a cover of a song from Gary Numan's album Telekon released the same year.
The cover of the Beatles' 'Not a Second Time' featured a second verse added by Palmer.
All songs by Robert Palmer except where noted.
- "Looking for Clues" – 4:52
- "Sulky Girl" – 4:07
- "Johnny and Mary" – 3:59
- "What Do You Care" – 2:44
- "I Dream of Wires" (Gary Numan) – 4:34
- "Woke Up Laughing" – 3:36
- "Not a Second Time" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 2:48
- "Found You Now" (Gary Numan, Robert Palmer) – 4:37
- Robert Palmer – vocals, guitar, bass, drums (track 6), percussion, production
- Dony Wynn – drums
- Jack Waldman – keyboards
- Kenny Mazur – guitar (tracks 1, 2, 7)
- Chris Frantz – bass drum (track 1)
- Andy Fraser – bass (tracks 2, 7)
- Alan Mansfield – guitar (track 3)
- Paul Gardiner – bass (track 5)
- Gary Numan – keyboards (track 5)
- Cover photograph taken by Susan Palmer in Nassau, the Bahamas
- "Clues". Allmusic. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- Donald A. Guarisco. "Review of Clues". Allmusic. Retrieved 2007-03-06.
- "Billboard Albums Chart for Robert Palmer". Allmusic. Retrieved 2007-03-06.
- Allmusic Review