Cog 0.07 (r909)
|Initial release||0.01 (2005-06-02)|
|Stable release||0.07 (December 24, 2007[±])|
|Preview release||0.08 (r2015) (August 7, 2012[±])|
|Written in||Objective-C \ Cocoa|
|Operating system||Mac OS X 10.4+ (Tiger and above)|
|Available in||Multiple Languages|
Cog is an open source audio player for Mac OS X. The basic layout is a single-paned playlist interface with two retractable drawers, one for navigating the user's music folders and another for viewing audio file properties, like bitrate. Along with supporting most audio formats compatible with Mac OS X's Core Audio API, Cog supports a wide array of other audio formats, along with their metadata, which are otherwise unsupported on OS X.
In April 2006, Cog joined other OS X audio software Tag and Max in an effort by the respective authors to consolidate OS X open source audio software on the internet. Subsequently, the Cog website was redesigned to Tag and Max's website design, and its forums were also moved to the Tag and Max Forums. In July 2007, Cog moved to its own separate forums shortly before the release of version 0.06.
- Last.fm support
- Growl support
- Global hotkeys
- File drawer
- Info drawer
- Smart shuffle
- Feedback form
- Automatic Updates (choice of Stable, Nightly, or Unstable)
- Apple Lossless
- Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC)
- Monkey's Audio
- Ogg Vorbis
- Video game music formats (NSF, GBS, GYM, SPC, VGM, HES, etc.)
- tracker formats (IT, S3M, XM, MOD, etc.)
- Cue sheet
Known Issues for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
- Playlist issues including "invisible playlist"
- Unattended cross-fade at random times
- Cog - News. Cogx.org. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Cog - Features. Cogx.org. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- sbooth.org • View topic - Relationship between Play and Cog?. Forums.sbooth.org (2007-02-12). Retrieved on 2013-12-09.