Coming Home (2014 film)
|Directed by||Zhang Yimou|
|Produced by||William Kong
|Screenplay by||Zou Jingzhi|
|Based on||The Criminal Lu Yanshi
by Geling Yan
Le Vision Pictures
|Distributed by||Edko Films (Hong Kong)
Golden Village Pictures (Singapore)
Sony Pictures Classics (USA)
|Box office||US$49.7 million (international)|
Coming Home (simplified Chinese: 归来; traditional Chinese: 歸來; pinyin: guīlái, literally The Return) is a 2014 Chinese drama film directed by Zhang Yimou and starring Chen Daoming and Gong Li. It is set to be released in the US sometime in 2015.
The story is adapted from the novel, The Criminal Lu Yanshi (simplified Chinese: 陆犯焉识; traditional Chinese: 陸犯焉識) written by novelist Geling Yan. Lu Yanshi (simplified Chinese: 陆焉识; traditional Chinese: 陸焉識, "Yanshi" literally means "how to recognize") was a professor before being sent to the labor camp (laogai, literally "reform through labor") during the Cultural Revolution. He escaped from the labor camp in Xining to meet his long-missed wife Feng Wanyu (simplified Chinese: 冯婉瑜; traditional Chinese: 馮婉瑜) and daughter Dandan (Chinese: 丹丹). However, the police were already waiting outside the house to arrest him. Dandan, who was then a teenage ballerina, could not play the leading role due to her father's outlaw status. Under the temptation of regaining the leading role, Dandan revealed her parents' secret meeting plan to the police. The meeting ended with the capture of Lu and Dandan getting the supporting role. After the end of the Cultural Revolution, Lu came home only to find his broken family, his wife suffering from amnesia and his daughter working as textile worker. Under the shock of former official's sexual harassment, his wife sometimes recognized him as Officer "Fang" instead of being her husband. To reawaken his wife's memory, Lu played out as a total stranger just to be near with his wife. Although she recognized him as a letter reader or a piano tuner, he never could be able to be close enough to live with his chaste wife. During these years, Lu continued to write to his wife as a way of communicating with his wife and to convince his wife to forgive their daughter. The movie ended with Lu's wife waiting to receive her husband outside the railway station and Lu standing with her on a snowy day, pretending to be pedicab driver.
- Chen Daoming as Lu Yanshi
- Gong Li as Feng Wanyu, Lu Yanshi's wife
- Zhang Huiwen as Dandan, Yanshi and Wanyu's daughter
- Guo Tao
- Liu Peiqi
- Zu Feng
- Yan Ni
- Xin Baiqing
- Zhang Jiayi
- Chen Xiaoyi
- Ding Jiali
Coming Home had its international premiere at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival in the out of competition section. It is scheduled to be screened in the Special Presentations section of the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival.
- Pamela McClintock (12 February 2014). "Berlin: Sony Classics Nears U.S. Deal for Zhang Yimou's 'Coming Home' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Stephen Cremin (6 February 2014). "Wild Bunch launches high profile Asian slate". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "the plot of "coming home"". 18 May 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Patrick Frater (18 September 2014). "Zhang Yimou and Gong Li Reunited in ‘Return’". Variety.com. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Elsa Keslassy and Justin Chang (2014-04-17). "Cannes Unveils 2014 Official Selection Lineup". Variety.
- "Toronto Film Festival Lineup". Variety. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Kevin Ma (18 May 2014). "Coming Home has huge China opening". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Weekly box office 09/06/2014 - 15/06/2014". english.entgroup.cn. Retrieved 2014-06-16.
- Nancy Tartaglione and David Bloom (January 10, 2015). "‘Transformers 4′ Tops 2014’s 100 Highest-Grossing International Films – Chart". deadline.com. Retrieved January 10, 2015.