|Launched||December 7, 2006 (Poland)
October 10, 2007 (United States)
December 14, 2009 (United Kingdom & Ireland)
June 7, 2013 (Germany)
|Owned by||MGM Holdings|
|Slogan||Movie Studio. Movie Network.|
|Country||Brazil, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Poland, United Kingdom, United States|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, USA
MGM HD is an all high-definition television cable network. It features movies from MGM's library of approximately 1,200 movies mastered in a high-definition-compatible format. The network exists largely because MGM does not have to pay to license their own films, and (with a few occasional exceptions) the schedule is composed mostly of second-tier and less-popular films that are not wanted or licensed by other major networks and movie channels. The films are usually presented uncut and in their original aspect ratio, although some films are edited for content for daytime viewing and commercial breaks are often added during peak viewing hours.
In the United Kingdom and Ireland, MGM HD launched on 14 December 2009 on the Sky satellite service. The channel is run in joint partnership with British Sky Broadcasting. On 27 April 2011, the channel was added to UPC Ireland's line-up. On 16th January 2014, MGM HD ceased broadcasting in UK & Ireland. MGM continues to be available on the UPC service in Ireland on channel 326.
MGM has also announced plans to bring MGM HD to Israel via the Tel-Ad service on Israel's DTH satellite platform.
MGM HD offers programming similar to the MGM Channel which is available in 110 countries.
- "MGM Eyes HDTV Movie Channel". Archived from the original on 2007-12-14. Retrieved 2007-10-11.
- Jon Lafayette (May 2008"Comcast lands MGM HD". TV Week. Retrieved March 20, 2010.).
- "MGM Networks and leading Polish media and entertainment group, ITI, to launch movie channel". Retrieved 2006-11-16.
- "MGM HD channel launches on Sky". Digital Spy. 14 December 2009.
- "MGM launches HD offering in Israel". Retrieved 2007-04-30.