Croajingolong National Park
|Croajingolong National Park|
One of some beaches in the Croajingolong National Park; looking north towards Rame Head.
|Nearest town or city||Mallacoota|
|Area||883.55 km2 (341.1 sq mi)|
|Established||26 April 1979|
|Managing authorities||Parks Victoria|
|Website||Croajingolong National Park|
The Croajingolong National Park is a coastal national park located in the East Gippsland region of the Australian state of Victoria. The 88,355-hectare (218,330-acre) national park is situated approximately 450 kilometres (280 mi) east of Melbourne and 500 kilometres (310 mi) south of Sydney.
Location and features
The park is linear in shape and bordered on the southern side by the Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean, the western side by Bemm River and the eastern side by the township of Mallacoota. Its northern boundary consists of dense bushland and low hills. The dimensions of the park are approximately 80 kilometres (50 mi) by 20 kilometres (12 mi), with an area of 875 square kilometres (338 sq mi). The 100 kilometres (62 mi) Wilderness Coast Walk stretches the entire length of the park along beaches, through heathland and round rocky headlands.
Croajingolong National Park, with the adjoining Nadgee Nature Reserve in New South Wales, forms one of only twelve World Biosphere areas in Australia. It contains ecosystems, habitats and gene pools that are managed sustainably. The park encloses the Sandpatch Wilderness Area and is contiguous with the Cape Howe Wilderness Area, the Nadgee Nature Reserve and the Cape Howe Marine National Park.
Important Bird Area
The eastern section of the park lies within the Nadgee to Mallacoota Inlet Important Bird Area, so identified by BirdLife International because it supports populations of Eastern Bristlebirds and Pilotbirds as well as other significant fauna.
Popular destinations within the park include:
- Point Hicks and its lighthouse
- Tamboon Inlet resort town
- Spectacular sand dunes at Thurra River
- Lake Elusive near Wingan Inlet
- Mount Everard
- Rame Head
- "Croajingolong National Park: Visitor Guide". Parks Victoria (PDF). Government of Victoria. July 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Croajingolong National Park Management Plan". Department of Natural Resources and Environment (PDF). Government of Victoria. June 1996. ISBN 0-7306-6137-7. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Croajingolong (county): Historical information: 30383". Vicnames. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Australia's Biosphere Reserves". Department of Sustainability. Australian Government. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "IBA: Nadgee to Mallacoota Inlet". Birdata. Birds Australia. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Croajingolong National Park.|
- Croajingolong National Park page, at Parks Victoria
- Hand made artist's book of etchings inspired by a bushwalk in Croajingolong National Park. Book created by Sandi Rigby and copy no.5 held by the Australian Library of Art, State Library of Queensland
- Croajingolong featured in the song Croa-jingo-long by Harold Williams (as Geoffrey Spencer) in 1923.