Cyprian Broodbank, FSA (born 26 December 1964) is a British archaeologist and academic. Since October 2014, he has been Disney Professor of Archaeology at the University of Cambridge and director of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research. From 2010 to 2014, he was Professor of Mediterranean Archaeology at University College London.
Broodbank was born on 26 December 1964. He studied history at the University of Oxford, graduating in 1986 Bachelor of Arts (BA). He then went on to study for a Master of Arts (MA) degree at the University of Bristol, completing it in 1987. He undertook postgraduate study at the Faculty of Classics, University of Cambridge, and completed his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in 1996.
Broodbank began his academic career as a junior research fellow at University College, Oxford from 1991 to 1993. In 1993, he joined University College London as a lecturer in Aegean archaeology based in the Institute of Archaeology. In October 2010, he was appointed Professor of Mediterranean Archaeology.
In November 2013, it was announced that he had been elected to the position of Disney Professor of Archaeology at the University of Cambridge. He took up the appointment in October 2014. In addition, he is the Director of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research.
He was awarded the 2003 James R. Wiseman Book Award by the Archaeological Institute of America for his monograph An Island Archaeology of the Early Cyclades (Cambridge University Press, 2001). He was also awarded the 2001 Runciman Award by the Anglo-Hellenic League for the monograph. His monograph The Making of the Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean from the Beginning to the Emergence of the Classical World (Thames and Hudson. 2013) has been described as 'an unprecedented work of scholarship; it is unlikely ever to be matched' and as a 'landmark publication'.
- "The Making of the Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean from the Beginning to the Emergence of the Classical World". News and events. University College London. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Cyprian Broodbank". Staff. University College London. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- BROODBANK, Prof. Cyprian, Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, 2015; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- "Mid-Career Fellowship Competition 2011 Awards". British Academy. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "New Disney Professor Announced: Cyprian Broodbank". Aegeus - Society for Aegean Prehistory. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "New Disney Professor Announced". University of Cambridge. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Prof. Cyprian Broodbank". Division of Archaeology. University of Cambridge. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Cyprian Broodbank— 2003 James R. Wiseman Book Award". Archaeological Institute of America. 2003. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "Public Lecture by Eminent Archaeologist Professor Cyprian Broodbank (4 Apr.)". University of Malta.
- "Runciman Award Prize winners from 1986" (PDF). Anglo-Hellenic League. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- Knapp, A. Bernard (29 January 2014). "The Making of the Middle Sea". History Today. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "List of Fellows". Society of Antiquaries of London. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Cyprian Broodbank awarded Wolfson Prize for History". British Academy. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Latest Prize Winners". The Wolfson Foundation. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
|Disney Professor of Archaeology, Cambridge University
2014 - present