Dälek at the cultural center Leoncavallo (Milan), in 2008. MC dälek at the microphone, the Oktopus in the background.
|Origin||Newark, New Jersey, U.S.|
|Genres||Alternative hip hop, shoegazing, industrial hip hop, experimental hip hop, noise, ambient|
|Years active||1998–2011 (hiatus), 2015-present|
dälek have often toured with artists from different genres, such as Godflesh, Isis, Prince Paul, The Melvins, Tool, De La Soul, RJD2, and Lovage. Oktopus and MC dälek collaborated with hardcore punk band Starkweather on their 2010 album This Sheltering Night.
Style and influence
Dälek's music is dark, noisy and atmospheric, equally inspired by industrial music like Einstürzende Neubauten, the layered noise of My Bloody Valentine and the dense sound collages of Public Enemy. Their sound is often constructed through sampling and a musical base atypical of most hip hop, making it difficult for people to classify their sound. They have been described as trip-hop, glitch-hop, metal, shoegaze, and hip-hop, as well as being criticized for their broad range of sound.
|“||"It's purely hip-hop, in the purest sense. If you listen to what hip-hop has historically been, it was all about digging in different crates and finding different sounds, and finding different influences to create. If Afrika Bambaataa wasn't influenced by Kraftwerk, we wouldn't have 'Planet Rock.' So, in that sense, what we do is strictly hip-hop.||”|
|“||If there is a difference. It's that the palette of sounds we work with is more varied than what has been called hip- hop in the last 10 years. Somehow, as hip-hop grew, it's been put into this box. I think it's funny when people are like, 'That's not hip-hop. It's this and this and this.' You can try to rationalize it as whatever you want to rationalize it as."||”|
- Negro Necro Nekros (1998)
- From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots (2002)
- Absence (2005)
- Abandoned Language (2007)
- Gutter Tactics (2009)
- Untitled (2010)
Collaborations, EPs and compilations
- Megaton/Classic Homicide (2000) split collaboration with Techno Animal
- Ruin It (2002) in collaboration with Kid 606
- Dälek vs. Velma (2002) split collaboration with Velma
- Derbe Respect, Alder (2004) in collaboration with Faust
- Streets All Amped (2006)
- My Education vs. dälek (2007) in collaboration with My Education 
- Deadverse Massive Vol. 1 (2007) Rarities 1999–2006
- Griots And Gods – Les Eurockeennes Festival Belfort 2010 (2010) Live collaboration with The Young Gods.
- Gergesha, Nick (July 5, 2010). "Transmissions: The Starkweather Interview". Hearwax. Retrieved August 28, 2010.
- Jakubiak, David (March 2, 2007). "Dalek makes hip-hop without sound barriers". Chicago Sun-Times.
- "Thirty Ghosts Records". Thirty Ghosts Records. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Hydrahead announces Botch, Dälek releases". Punknews.org. 2007-06-13. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- "Griots And Gods – Les Eurockeennes Festival Belfort 2010". Everyone Knows. The Young Gods. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dälek.|