The junior novel cover
|Distributed by||Disney-ABC Domestic Television|
|Directed by||Paul Hoen|
|Produced by||Don Schain
|Written by||Alan Silberberg|
|Music by||Adam Cohen|
|Editing by||Terry Stokes|
|Original channel||Disney Channel|
|Running time||90 minutes|
Dadnapped is a Disney Channel Original Movie which premiered February 16, 2009. Starring actors from Disney Channel Original Series, the movie had 4.6 million viewers for its premiere. Although the story centers on a hostage situation, the kidnappers are inept and the film "practically oozes kid-pleasing content".
Melissa Morris (Emily Osment) desperately tries to gain more attention from her always preoccupied father, Neil, a best-selling author (George Newbern). Melissa lives in the shadow of Tripp Zoome (Jonathan Keltz), the adventurous and clever hero from her father's popular spy novels. Before a long overdue father-daughter vacation, her father gets kidnapped by obsessive fans: Wheeze (David Henrie) with his friend, Sheldon (Denzel Whitaker), and his brother, Andre (Moises Arias).
However, the tables turn when she must team up with them to find and rescue him from Merv (Jason Earles), and brothers Maurice (Phill Lewis) and Skunk (Charles Halford). It turns out Merv is just using Skunk and Maurice as part of a plan to get Neil to write one final book and uses his daughter as a hostage. Wheeze, Andre and Sheldon get all of the Trip Zoome fans in town to gather together to rescue Melissa and Neil and they attack when Melissa manages to signal them.
The fans attack Merv, Maurice and Skunk and they try to run but are stopped by more fans. Merv sneaks out with Neil while Skunk and Maurice go after Melissa who escapes. Melissa defeats them and ties them up. Merv nearly gets away, but Sheldon, who had been trying to find where everyone went, spots him and alerts everyone else. Neil is rescued, but Merv tries to get away.
As he runs, Skunk and Maurice, still tied up, come out and see this and, regretting what they've done, use the floss they're bound in to trip Merv, knocking him down and ending his escape. The police arrest Maurice, Merv and Skunk while Neil thanks his fans. Wheeze gives his number to Melissa before she and her father leave on their long-overdue vacation.
- Emily Osment as Melissa Morris
- David Henrie as Wheeze
- Jason Earles as Merv Kilbo
- Moisés Arias as Andre
- Denzel Whitaker as Sheldon
- Phill Lewis as Maurice
- Charles Halford as Skunk
- Jonathan Keltz as Tripp Zoome
- George Newbern as Neil Morris
- Jennifer Stone as Debbie
Despite its commercial success and positive fan response, it was negatively received by critics. David Nusair called the movie (along with Hatching Pete) "typically underwhelming Disney Channel fare."
Dadnapped: Junior Novel is a book based on the movie, which was due to be released September 30, 2008 in the United States and October 21, 2008 in the UK, but the release date was changed to February 2009 to coincide with the movie's release.
- "Salty Pictures gets incentive to shoot 'Dadnapped' in Utah". BNET. 2007-08-18. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Dave Smith. "Disney A to Z: The Official Encyclopedia". Disney Channel. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Alan Baltes (September 2007). "Dadnapped! Casting Information". Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "Dadnapped TV Show - Reviews, Cast, Schedule & Times and More. Television Shows at Film.com". Film.com. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Emily Ashby. Dadnapped. CommonSenseMedia.org. Accessed 2009-03-01.
- Robert Seidman (February 17, 2009). Disney Channel Shines with "Night of Stars" Programming Event. TVByTheNumbers.com. Accessed 2009-03-01.
- "Hatching Pete/Dadnapped". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Amazon.co.uk: Dadnapped: Junior Novel: Disney Press: Book". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-07-25.