Can of Worms (film)
|Can Of Worms|
Can Of Worms promotional advertisement
|Directed by||Paul Schneider|
|Produced by||Marcy Gross
|Written by||Kathy Mackel|
|Music by||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Distributed by||Disney Channel|
|Release dates||April 10, 1999|
|Running time||85 minutes|
Can of Worms is a Halloween Disney Channel Original Movie. It was released in 1999, and is based on the novel of the same name by Kathy Mackel, which was a Young Reader's Choice Nominee in 2002 and a nominee for the 2001 Rhode Island Children's Book Award. The film was shot in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Mike (Michael Shulman) is a young man who feels he does not belong on Earth. He tries to win the heart of his friend Katelyn (Erika Christensen) by helping out with the Halloween Dance, which is sabotaged by his rival, Scott. Upset, Mike sends a message into space asking to be rescued from Earth, unaware that his message has been heard. Soon a diverse range of aliens come to Earth with various offers for Mike, only to find he has changed his mind after Katelyn gives him another chance.
An alien called a Thoad arrives on Earth in order to claim Mike for his "zoo". His friend's brother is kidnapped, and with help from Scott, as well as an alien who resembles a dog, Barnabus (Malcolm McDowell), he manages to travel to the Thoad's lair and rescue his friend's brother and all of the creatures trapped in the zoo. However, the Thoad follows them back to Earth and attempts to take Mike, but Barnabus calls the Intergalactic Police and the Thoad is arrested and taken into custody. Barnabus tells Mike that Earth is safe again, and offers to take him to his home planet, but Mike tells him he at last feels that he belongs on Earth, and the pair say goodbye.
- Michael Shulman - Mike Pillsbury
- Erika Christensen - Katelyn
- Adam Wylie - Nick
- Andrew Ducote - Jay
- Garrett M. Brown - Dana Pillsbury
- Lee Garlington - Pamela Pillsbury
- Brighton Hertford - Jill Pillsbury
- Marcus Turner - Scott Tribler
- Chris Davies - Ryan
- Marie Stillin - Mrs. Nickerson
- Jessica Murdoch - Katelyn's Friend
- Terry David Mulligan - Coach Trembly
- Hrogather Matthews - Thoad's Human Form
- Brian Steele - Thoad's Creature Form
- Malcolm McDowell - Barnabus (voice)
- Bruce Lanoil - The Bom (voice)
- Wally Wingert - The Loafer Alien (voice)
- David Coburn - The Jarm (voice)
- Tara Strong - Lula (voice)
- Peter Kelamis - Intergalactic Cop (voice)
- J.D. Hall - Thoad's Creature Form (voice)
Although not shown for many years, the film was broadcast as part of Disney Channel's 2006 "Hauntober Fest" in October. On October 23, 2007, the film reappeared as part of the Halloween film line-up on the Disney Channel. The film was a part of "Wiztober" in 2008 and 2009, which is a mix of Halloween films. Also, the film was re-aired on Disney Channel on October 9, 2011 as part of Disney's "Monstober" event.
- cool-reads.co.uk - books for 10-15 year old readers by 10-15 year old reviewers
- "2001 Nominations". Rhode Island Children's Book Award. Rhode Island Teacher's & Technology Initiative/Rhode Island Educational Media Association/Rhode Island Network for Educational Technology. Retrieved 2009-04-21.