Dangerous Dave is a 1988 computer game by John Romero. It was developed for the Apple II and DOS as an example game to accompany his article about his GraBASIC, an Applesoft BASIC add-on, for the UpTime disk magazine.
The object of the game is to collect gold cups to move on to the next level. Since the original 1988 publishing of Dangerous Dave on UpTime, there have been three sequels and three ports of the original to other platforms.
The idea for Dangerous Dave came to John Romero under the influence of Super Mario. There are similarities between the two games, such as the secret levels, the level design, the monsters, and the jumping. The mission is to guide Dave through ten levels, collecting trophies in the hideout of his enemy, Clyde. Romero says that among all Dangerous Dave sequels Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion is "the best Dave ever created". In 2008 Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion was ported to cell phones.
- Dangerous Dave, 1988, Apple II, 6-color, UpTime (the original)
- Double Dangerous Dave, 1990, Apple II, 16-color, Softdisk (16 color port of the 1988 original)
- Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement, 1990, DOS, EGA, non-published (the demo that launched Commander Keen and id Software)
- Dangerous Dave, 1990, DOS (CGA, EGA, VGA), Softdisk (DOS version of the 1988 original)
- Dangerous Dave in the Deserted Pirate's Hideout, 1990, Apple II, 16-color, Softdisk
- Dangerous Dave GS, 1990, Apple //GS, never completed (//GS version of the 1988 original)
- Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion, 1991, DOS, EGA, Softdisk
- Dangerous Dave Returns, 1992, Apple II, 16-color, Softdisk
- Dangerous Dave's Risky Rescue, 1993, DOS, EGA, Softdisk
- Dave Goes Nutz!, 1993, DOS, EGA, Softdisk
- Dangerous Dave Goes Nutz!, 1995, Apple II, 16-color, Softdisk
There is only one finished project with original Dangerous Dave-style art, known as Dangerous Dave 5. It was made by an unknown fan in 2013, and it features eight levels and new gameplay abilities.
- John Romero's site: The Saga of Dangerous Dave
- John Romero's site: The Apple II original Dangerous Dave
- John Romero's site: Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement
- Dangerous Dave series at MobyGames
- Page with interesting materials about Dangerous Dave
- Dangerous Ivan for android and iOS (Dangerous Dave like game)