Daniel Kottke, January 2007
April 4, 1954 |
Bronxville, New York, U.S.
Kottke was Apple Employee Number 12. He assembled and tested the first Apple I computers with computer designer and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak in Steve Jobs's garage in 1976. Prior to the formation of Apple, Kottke was close friends with Jobs, whom he met at Reed College. The two men traveled to India backpacking around in search of spiritual enlightenment. Kottke spent an additional eight years with Apple debugging Apple II printed circuit boards and building Apple III and Macintosh prototypes as well as working on the design for the Macintosh keyboard. The Apple II gained a sizable amount of popularity, eventually becoming one of the best selling personal computers of the 1970s and early 1980s. Kottke was one of the original members of the Macintosh development team and his signature can be found embossed on the internal wall of early production Macintosh computers.
However, as biographer Walter Isaacson documents, despite Kottke's Employee #12 status and his engineering contributions to Apple, Steve Jobs refused to grant his former "soul mate" any stock in the new company. "I will give him zero," said Jobs. Steve Wozniak later gave him some of his own shares in Apple.
In addition, in 1982 when Time Magazine featured a major, but unflattering, profile of Jobs that actually made him cry, he publicly "berated" Kottke for confirming the fact to Time that he had a daughter, Lisa Brennan, whom he had basically abandoned.
- Daniel Kottke on Silicon Valley innovation culture and his trip to India with Steve Jobs during their hippie years.
- Triangulation Episode 31: Daniel Kottke
- Cast of Jobs
- Jobs - In this film about the career of Steve Jobs, Daniel Kottke is portrayed by actor Lukas Haas.
- Pirates of Silicon Valley - In this film on the rise of Apple and Microsoft, Daniel Kottke is portrayed by actor Marcus Giamatti.
- "Apple Early Employees".
- "India visit gave a vision to Steve Jobs". Indiatoday.intoday.in. October 13, 2011. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Hertzfeld, Andy, Signing Party
- Isaacson, Walter (2011). Steve Jobs. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. pp. 103–104. ISBN 978-1-4516-4853-9.
- Assar, Vijith (August 16, 2013). "'Early Apple Employees Talk Memories of Steve Jobs, New Movie". Slashdot (Slashdot).
- Media related to Daniel Kottke at Wikimedia Commons
- "Apple History: Dan Kottke", AppleInfo.net (archived 2001)