Cunningham (front) with the Timberwolves in January 2014
|Power forward / Small forward|
April 22, 1987 |
|Listed height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Listed weight||221 lb (100 kg)|
|High school||St. John's (Washington D.C.)
Potomac (Oxon Hill, Maryland)
|NBA draft||2009 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33rd overall|
|Selected by the Portland Trail Blazers|
|2009–2011||Portland Trail Blazers|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Dante Lamar Cunningham (born April 22, 1987) is an American professional basketball player who last played for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Cunningham was drafted in the second round (33rd overall) of the 2009 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers. Cunningham, a forward, played college basketball with the Villanova Wildcats.
- 1 Early life
- 2 High school career
- 3 College career
- 4 NBA career
- 5 NBA career statistics
- 6 International career
- 7 Personal
- 8 References
- 9 External links
High school career
Cunningham began his prep career at St. John's High School in Washington, D.C. While a junior, he averaged 10 points per game and 7.4 rebounds. One of his teammates, Dwayne Anderson, would later play at Villanova with Cunningham.
As a senior, Cunningham transferred to Potomac High School, which he led to a 27–0 season under Head Coach Rico Reed. He averaged 13 rebounds, 20 points, and four blocked shots per game at Potomac. He was honored as the Washington Post Metropolitan Player of the Year.
In his senior year, Cunningham would go on to lead the team in scoring and take home the Big East Most Improved Player award. He led the Wildcats to their first Final Four appearance since 1985.
Portland Trail Blazers (2009–2011)
Cunningham was drafted 33rd overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2009 NBA Draft. Cunningham played for Portland's Vegas Summer League team where he averaged over 18 points and 5 rebounds per game in four contests. On August 21, 2009, the Portland Trail Blazers announced that Cunningham had signed a contract and was given a roster spot for the 2009–2010 season.
Charlotte Bobcats (2011)
Memphis Grizzlies (2011–2012)
Minnesota Timberwolves (2012–2014)
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
On April 3, 2014, Cunningham was arrested for allegedly choking his girlfriend with whom he lived with. Three days later, he was arrested on alleged domestic abuse charges. By August 18, 2014, charges were dropped, due to evidence Cunningham's then girlfriend had fabricated her accusations.
- "Dante Cunningham Profile". Villanova.com. CBS Interactive. 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- Joe Freeman, Blazers sign draft pick Dante Cunningham, August 21, 2009
- "Cunningham, Przybilla, Marks, 2 First Round Picks Acquired from Portland". NBA.com. 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "Grizzlies tender offer sheet to Dante Cunningham". NBA.com. 2011-12-20. Retrieved 2011-12-22.
- "Grizzlies sign Dante Cunningham". NBA.com. 2011-12-24. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Gordon is named in Britain squad". BBC News. April 1, 2008. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- MULLENS TO JOIN GB’S OLYMPIC TILT
- Timberwolves’ Dante Cunningham arrested for second time this week
- Felony assault charge against Cunningham dropped
- NBA free agent Dante Cunningham struggles to clear name after domestic violence charge dropped