Demon Prince Enma
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2008)|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2008)|
|Demon Prince Enma|
Cover of the volume 2 of Demon Prince Enma released by Bandai Visual USA.
|Genre||Horror, Supernatural, Suspense|
|Written by||Go Nagai|
|Original run||April 2006 – June 2006|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Mamoru Kanbe|
|Written by||Takao Yoshioka|
|Studio||Bandai Visual, Brain's Base|
|Licensed by||Bandai Entertainment|
|Released||August 25, 2006 – March 23, 2007|
Demon Prince Enma (鬼公子炎魔 Kikōshi Enma?) is a Japanese horror anime and manga series created by Go Nagai. It is a sequel/remake of Dororon Enma-kun. The manga version of Kikōshi Enma would get a sequel called Satanikus ENMA Kerberos by Eiji Karasuyama in 2007.
Four grown demons (Enma, Yukihime, Kapaeru, and Grandpa Chapeauji) form the group known as the Enma Detective Agency. They go after demons and monsters that have escaped from Hell into the human world.
- Enma (炎魔?): He has returned to the mortal world in order to get rid of the demons that have escaped from the underworld. He is a fire-based demon and he's the nephew of Enma-Daio. His name in Kanji means flame demon and it's read the same way as Enma, the ruler of the underworld.
- Yukihime (雪鬼姫?): She is an ice-based demon who acts as the partner of Enma in their endeavour to return the escaped demons to the underworld. In the OVA, while she has a cold personality and certain disdain for Enma on the surface, she actually is in love with him but knows and regrets that they cannot be together since they are opposing forces (Ice/Flame). This situation plays an important part when she gets possessed by a demon. Her name means snow devil princess and its probably related to the Japanese folklore myth of Yuki-onna.
- Kapaeru (カパエル?): He is a kappa who has been living in the mortal realm for many years. He is in charge of gathering information regarding the location of the hunted demons. In the OVA, he has fooled persons into believing that his appearance is a disguise. He has a secret contact (whom he holds dear) that helps him get most of the clues of the cases. Both of them die at the hands of the demon that possesses Yukihime. In the manga, he tricks and betrays Enma and Yukihime.
- Grandpa Chapeauji (シャポ爺 shapojii?): An old demon with the form of a hat, he possesses great knowledge in all the matters related to the underworld and demons. In the OVA, he is often sleeping because of his old age and is mostly in the head of Enma. While he rarely takes action, he advises Enma of the best course of action as well as alerting him of the presence of demons. In the manga, he is younger, can change of shape and appearance, has a more aggressive personality and a more active role.
- "Nobusuma: Rot-Pus Suck Demon"
- "Piguma: Corpseless Demon"
- "Karuma: Misery Swirling Demon"
Helen McCarthy in 500 Essential Anime Movies says the violence is "extreme", but "it's stylishly designed and animated". She praises the soundtrack and humor, which is "well integrated in the characters".
- Kikoushi Enma (Japanese) Official site (OVA).
- Demon Prince Enma (OVA) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
|This anime original video animation–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|