Denbigh High School (Newport News, Virginia)
|Denbigh High School|
|259 Denbigh Boulevard
Newport News, Virginia, 23608
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Newport News Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Ashby Kilgore|
|Director||Mr. Horace Underwood Aviation Academy|
|Principal||Mr. Anthony Vladu|
|Assistant principals||Mrs. Marylin Sinclair-White
Ms. Michelle Banks
Mrs. Audrey Mitchell
Dr. Robert Parsons
Mr. Yiotis Tsigaridas
|Enrollment||1,510 "Newport News Public Schools Demographic Snapshot". Newport News Public Schools. Retrieved 2009-11-06.</ref> (October 2009)|
|Color(s)||Red, White, and Blue|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
|Rival||Woodside High School
Menchville High School
http://avi.nn.k12.va.us Aviation Academy
Denbigh High School is a high school in Newport News, Virginia. Denbigh carries grades nine through twelve and has an enrollment of approximately 1,500 students. This school was rated "Fully Accredited" by the Virginia Department of Education for the 2005-2006 school year. Denbigh is the only host to the Aviation program in all of Newport News Public Schools.
Denbigh High school is represented by their mascot, the Patriot. Recently the known mascot picture of the Patriot was changed to a star with 'Patriots' across it. Rumors of possibly changing from the 'Patriots' and adapting a different mascot have been circulating, but nothing has been confirmed. Their colors are red, white, and blue. It also has top rated sports teams throughout the region. This school was opened in the fall of 1965 with grades 8-11 and the Junior class of that year became the first Senior class the following year. The class of 1970 was the first class to go through all five years at Denbigh. For a time Newport News had 5 year high schools and Denbigh (the northernmost of the cities high schools) had 8-12th grades. The class of 1968 presented, as a memorial, a step from the first Denbigh school.
Denbigh is also one of two sites in Newport News that hosts SAT testing, and also hosts the ACT testing.
Denbigh High School and other NNPS have a Telecommunications Program. It allows interested student to go out and shoot live football and basketball games. Students experience reporting, producing, camera work, editing etc. The choral and band programs have won numerous awards in local, regional, state, and national competitions.
|Talented and Gifted||117||7.5%|
- Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts player
- Patrick Rocky, meteorologist at WTKR-TV, Norfolk, Virginia
- Leslie "Les" Smith, former WAVY-TV and WTKR news anchor/reporter
- Ed Tomlin, Under Armour Director of Football Development
- Mike Tomlin, head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Tony Vinson, former NFL and NFL Europa running back
- Joe Wooten, renowned keyboardist
- Victor Wooten, renowned bass guitarist
- Robert Cray, renowned blues guitarist
- James Brown, ESPN Inc Senior Vice President of ESPN RISE
- "Newport News Public Schools Demographic Snapshot". Newport News Public Schools. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- Nicholson, David (2007-04-25). "Les Smith Resigns From WAVY News 10". Newport News, Virginia: Daily Press. p. A2.
- McDonald, Sam (2007-08-31). "Denbigh Grad Jams With Steve Miller". Newport News, Virginia: Daily Press. p. D3.
- Denbigh High School Homepage
- Denbigh High School Alumni Reunion website
- Denbigh High School Band website