Driving Home for Christmas
|"Driving Home for Christmas"|
|Single by Chris Rea|
|Format||7" vinyl, 12" vinyl, Cassette, CD|
|Chris Rea singles chronology|
"Driving Home for Christmas" is a single written by Chris Rea and released in December 1988 as a non-album single. The song peaked at #53 in the UK Single Chart in 1988, and re-entered the chart in 2007, peaking at #33. It was used in Christmas commercials for supermarket chain Iceland in 1997, 1998, and 2011 respectively, with the latter featuring a cover by Stacey Solomon.
In a live interview on the BBC Radio 4 programme Today on 16 December 2009 Rea said he wrote "Driving Home for Christmas" many years before he first recorded it. His wife had come down to London to drive him home to Middlesbrough in her Austin Mini to save money because it was cheaper to drive than travel by train. Inspiration for the song came as she and Rea were stuck in heavy traffic heading out of London with a long drive to Middlesbrough ahead of them. Rea said "Driving Home for Christmas" is a "car version of a carol".
In 2009, twenty-one years after the song was first released, an original video was made in aid of Shelter; all proceeds were donated to the charity. The celebrities who featured in the video were Martin Shaw, Mike Read, David Hamilton, Kristian Digby, Gail Porter, Lizzie Cundy, Kenny Thomas, Ewen MacIntosh, Carol Decker, Matt Di Angelo, Mark Brennan, Giles Vickers-Jones and Lionel Blair. (Andy Abraham, Alexander O'Neal and Kirsten O'Brien were scheduled to appear but did not make the final cut). Of the project, Rea stated "I wanted to do something special this Christmas and what better way than to help keep a roof over people’s heads when they need it most – at Christmas. By teaming up with Shelter we can hopefully make a difference."
Charts and certifications
|Austrian (Ö3 Austria Top 40) (2007)||35|
|Belgian (Ultratip) (1986)||22|
|Denmark (Tracklisten) (2007)||19|
|Finland (Finnish Singles Chart (1999)||17|
|Germany (Media Control Charts) (2008)||31|
|Ireland (IRMA) (1988)'||28|
|Netherlands (MegaCharts) (2008)||17|
|Norway (VG-lista) (2008)||2|
|Sweden (Sverigetopplistan) (2010)||26|
|Switzerland (Swiss Music Charts) (2009)||41|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company) (2007)||33|
Stacey Solomon version
|"Driving Home for Christmas"|
|Single by Stacey Solomon|
|Released||18 December 2011|
|Label||Conehead Management Ltd|
Singer and television presenter Stacey Solomon covered the song in 2011 and it was released on 18 December 2011 as her debut single. Originally intended to be used solely in commercials for supermarket chain Iceland and cabins, it was later released as a single due to popular demand.
The single was released on 18 December 2011 on iTunes with all proceeds going to Alzheimer's Research UK and children's hospice charity Together For Short Lives. Solomon has performed the song on This Morning and Daybreak.
In an interview with the British newspaper The Sun, Solomon said that she was nervous about going head-to-head with the winner of that year's series of The X Factor, "If I got Christmas number one it would be the best feeling in the world," she said. "I'd be ecstatic. I don't know if I'd be able to look Simon Cowell in the eye! No, I don't think he'd talk to me!" She subsequently said that she was not disappointed that the single did not make it into the UK top 20.
|1.||"Driving Home for Christmas"||3:55|
|2.||"Driving Home for Christmas" (Alternative version)||3:16|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||27|
|United Kingdom||18 December 2011||Digital download||Conehead Management|
Other artists who have covered the song include:
- The Bachelors
- Michael Ball
- Joe McElderry
- Saint Etienne 
- The High Kings
- Lucy Rose
- Blackburn, Jen (2011-11-26). "Stacey Solomon in Xmas No1 race | The Sun |Showbiz|TV". The Sun. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Today: Wednesday 16th December". BBC News (BBC). 16 December 2009.
- "Shelter England". England.shelter.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-12-20.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". AustrianCharts.at. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". Ultratop.be. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". DanishCharts.com. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". FinnishCharts.com. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas (In German)". MusicLine.de. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- Jaclyn Ward - Fireball Media Group - http://www.fireballmedia.ie. "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". DutchCharts.nl. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". NorwegianCharts.com. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". SwedishCharts.com. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". HitParade.ch. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Chart Stats – Chris Rea – Driving Home for Christmas". Retrieved 12 February 2010. [dead link]
- Published Saturday, 26 November 2011, 09:35 GMT (26 November 2011). "Stacey Solomon to release Iceland track as single - Music News". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 December 2011.
- Sperling, Daniel (1 November 2012). "Stacey Solomon: 'Simon Cowell could win I'm a Celebrity'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- Driving Home For Christmas - Single by Stacey Solomon. iTunes
- Christmas with the Bachelors
- Michael Ball Christmas
- Album: Joe McElderry, Classic Christmas (UCJ)
- A Glimpse of Stocking
- The High Kings Last FM
- Lucy Rose BBC