Solomon performing on the 2010 X Factor tour.
|Birth name||Stacey Chanelle C. Solomon|
4 October 1989 |
|Occupations||Singer, television presenter|
|Labels||Conehead UK (2010-present)|
|Associated acts||The X Factor 2009 finalists|
Stacey Chanelle C. Solomon (born 4 October 1989) is an English singer, television presenter and reality TV star. She rose to fame during her time on the sixth series of The X Factor, coming third overall on the show. She gained a number one single on both the UK Singles Chart and the Irish Singles Chart when her fellow The X Factor finalists released a cover of "You Are Not Alone".
Solomon won the tenth series of reality television show I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! and was named "Queen of the Jungle". Solomon's debut single, a cover of "Driving Home for Christmas", was released on 19 December 2011. After a number of delays, Solomon is set to release her debut album in 2014.
Life and career
Early life and career beginnings
Solomon was born in Dagenham, East London, the daughter of Fiona (née Nash), a nurse, and David Solomon, a photographer. Her father is from a Jewish family that had immigrated to England from Iraq and Poland. Her mother was born into a Church of England family (the daughter of a vicar), and had converted to Progressive Judaism before marrying Stacey's father. Her parents divorced when she was nine. Solomon attended King Solomon High School. At the age of 17, Solomon became pregnant by her boyfriend of the time (Dean Cox). The young couple split sometime before the birth of their son Zachary on 21 March 2008. Since 2009, Solomon had been dating boyfriend Aaron Barham whom she met on holiday in Greece.
2009–10: The X Factor
Solomon auditioned for the sixth series of The X Factor in 2009, performing "What a Wonderful World". Solomon was among the top 12 contestants and advanced to the live shows and was mentored by Dannii Minogue. During the first week of the live shows she performed Coldplay's "The Scientist", which gained positive reviews from the judges. During week two, she performed "At Last", receiving the most public votes. She sang "When You Wish Upon a Star" during the third week. On the fourth week, all contestants had to sing rock songs; Minogue selected "Somewhere Only We Know", and Solomon's performance resulted in positive reviews. On the fifth week, she sang "Son of a Preacher Man". The sixth week into the competition, Solomon sang Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever". During the sixth week, she also released a cover of Michael Jackson's "You Are Not Alone", which topped the charts on the UK Singles Chart and the Irish Singles Chart On the seventh week, she performed "I Can't Make You Love Me" and again received positive reviews from the judges and the audience. In the eighth week of the competition Solomon performed "Rule the World" by Take That and "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" by Elton John. In the semi-final she performed another Michael Jackson song, "The Way You Make Me Feel", and the song "Somewhere" for which she received a standing ovation again by the judges. During the final week, Solomon performed a duet "Feeling Good" with Michael Bublé. She also performed "What a Wonderful World" and "Who Wants to Live Forever". Solomon was awarded third place in the competition, behind Joe McElderry and Olly Murs.
2011–present: Debut album, Young Voices choir
In June 2011 it was reported that Solomon began working on her debut album, due to be released in 2012. Her first single from the album was originally to be released in February, but was delayed, and Solomon later stated she this was because she wanted to focus on her new baby and sort out her family first. On 5 November 2011, Solomon performed to thousands as the headline act at Paisley's Christmas Lights Switch On event. In September 2011, it was reported that Stacey was in a bidding war between record labels. Solomon, however, stated she will have complete control over her debut album. She was also asked to join The Only Way Is Essex, but turned it down.
Solomon released a cover of Chris Rea's "Driving Home for Christmas" as her Christmas single, which was released 18 December 2011. The single was used for the Iceland Christmas commercial and reached number 27 in the UK Singles Chart. In June 2012, Stacey revealed she has recorded a number of singles, and has an album release planned for September 2012. However, on The Jonathan Ross Show in October 2012, she stated she was in the process of finishing the album, and was looking to release it in February 2013. On 21 September 2013, during an appearance on Through the Keyhole, she stated that her debut album would now be released sometime in November 2013, and would contain mainly new material.
On 29 November 2013, Solomon was announced as the headline artist to lead a choir of over 110,000 primary school children. She will join the Young Voices tour in 2014, which takes place from 14 January to 5 February in Birmingham, Sheffield, London and Manchester. The singer will be performing tracks from her forthcoming debut album on the tour, which is scheduled for release in 2014.
Solomon took part in the tenth series of the celebrity reality show I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! She beat Shaun Ryder in the final and was crowned "Queen of the Jungle". She gained 80.07% of the public votes. In April 2011, she presented Sing If You Can on ITV alongside Keith Lemon, which raised money for the Teenage Cancer Trust. She performed the British national anthem at the 2011 FA Cup Final, between Manchester City and Stoke City at Wembley Stadium. In 2011, she became the face of supermarket Iceland, taking over from Coleen Nolan. Solomon performed a duet with Ryder at the 16th National Television Awards - "Feeling Good" and "Step On" by Happy Mondays. In October 2010, she won the Living TV show Party Wars.
In December 2011, Solomon appeared on an edition of the BBC quiz show Celebrity Mastermind. She achieved a score of 10 points - the lowest in the competition, with the other contestants scoring between 22 and 23 points. Solomon chose the TV series The Inbetweeners as her chosen specialist subject.
She has appeared in the BBC musical panel comedy Never Mind the Buzzcocks three times, in 2011, 2012 and 2013. These appearances resulted in critical acclaim due to her 'gleefully loopy' performance.
On 11 March 2012, Sky Living's new dating show The Love Machine premiered, with Solomon and Chris Moyles as presenters. Solomon also starred in an episode of Mad Mad World on ITV in Spring 2012 alongside Eamonn Holmes and Stephen K. Amos.
On 4 December 2011, Solomon became engaged to her boyfriend Aaron - shortly afterwards it was announced that the couple were due to have a baby in the Spring. Solomon gave birth to her second son, named Leighton, on 5 May 2012. Solomon has another son called Zach, who was born on 21 March 2008, from a previous relationship.
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2011||"Driving Home for Christmas"||27||—||Non-album single|
|As featured artist|
|2009||"You Are Not Alone" (as part of The X Factor finalists)||1||1||Charity single|
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005.; at ancestry.com
- Cast: Stacey Solomon Presenter On The Love Machine - Sky Living HD
- Biography at Heatworld.com
- "Stacey Solomon crowned Queen of the Jungle" 4 December 2010, The Telegraph
- "Stacey Solomon to release Iceland track as single" November 26, 2011, Digital Spy
- "Stacey Solomon in Xmas No1 race" 26 November 2011, The Sun
- Stacey Solomon leaps into father's arms as she jets back from the jungle | Mail Online
- Peppa Pig Is Jungle Queen Stacey Solomon's Biggest Rival - Coventry Telegraph - Pass the Remote
- Stacey: My Story So Far eBook: Stacey Solomon: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
- Interview with Stacey Solomon: XFactor Finalist and Im a Celebrity Star - Celebrity interviews - Essex Life
- "X-Factor Finalists 2009 - You Are Not Alone". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- Elgot, Jessica (12 December 2009). "Stacey Solomon out of X Factor". The Jewish Chronicle Online. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- Fitzmaurice, Sarah (13 December 2010). "X Factor 2010: Stacey Solomon, Coleen Rooney and Michelle Keegan guest interviews leave viewers confused". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Stacey Solomon to switch on Paisley's festive lights" 13 October 2011, Metro Lyrics
- "Stacey Solomon promises 'control' over her debut album as she signs record deal". Metro.co.uk. 7 September 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- "Stacey Solomon sings record deal: "I'll have complete control over my debut album"". Digital Spy. 6 September 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
- STACEY SOLOMON: "I can't wait for my debut album!", Exclusive TV, 27 June 2012, retrieved 27 June 2012
- Young Voices Concert dates 2014
- "Stacey Solomon returns to singing with Young Voices choir". Digital Spy. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Thompson, Jody (22 October 2010). "Oh my god! Last year's X Factor favourite Stacey Solomon heading for this year's I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here". Mail Online (London: (Associated Newspapers Ltd)). Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- 4 December 2010, "I'm A Celebrity: Stacey Solomon crowned 'queen of jungle'
- "Stacey Solomon beats Shaun Ryder in I'm A Celeb final" 4 December 2010, Now Magazine
- Solomon receives over 80% of the public votes on I'm a Celebrity
- Wilkes, Neil (4 July 2011). "Solomon wins in award". Dudley News. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- "In case you missed it, here’s Stacey Solomon and Sean Ryder’s NTA performance", Heat World, 27 January 2011.
- "LIVING commissions a war on parties..". Living TV. 18 August 2010.
- "Celebrity Mastermind - 2011/2012 - Episode 2" Video at BBC web site.
- Never Mind The Buzzcocks - Television Tropes & Idioms
- Iley, Chrissy (August 31, 2012). "Top Dog Model: Which model mutt has 'bow wow' factor?". Mail Online. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Tighe, Sophie (August 28, 2012). "Stacey Solomon helps find Britain's coolest canine in 'Top Dog Model'". Reveal. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Dadds, Kimberley (5 May 2012). "Another boy! Stacey Solomon is 'doing well' after giving birth to her second son". Daily Mail (DMG Media). Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- STACEY SOLOMON | Artist | Official Charts
|I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!