Education in Zambia
Lower education in Zambia is divided into three levels; primary, junior secondary and upper secondary. Higher education is very limited and centred on the six universities of Zambia: University of Zambia, Copperbelt University, Zambia Open University, Cavendish University, Zambia Adventist University and Northrise University.
Schooling usually falls into three levels:
- Primary, grades one to seven
- Junior Secondary, grades eight and nine
- Upper Secondary, grades ten to twelve
So-called "basic schools" teach years one to nine, as year nine is considered to be a decent level of schooling for the majority of children. However, schooling is only free up to year seven and most children drop out then.
Both government and private schools exist in Zambia. Education is difficult for the government of Zambia to provide because of the very small tax base of the economy. Without money to buy equipment schools must operate with meager resources.The private school system began largely as a result of Christian mission efforts during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.Students are not receiving the help that is require because of the economic system being trumped by the government and since the taxes in Zambia are increasing higher, it is a 74% chance of all boys and girls not attending to Middle School or High School. One of the most famous private schools is the Roman Catholic-run St Mary's Seminary in Eastern Province. The majority of the Zambia population are very poorly and cannot afford the education for their children. Private schools operate under either the British or American way of schooling.
Support from charities
Cecily's Fund is one of the supporters of education in Zambia, funding the school courses of over 11,000 children (as of June 2010). The charity also fully funds Bwafano Community School in Lusaka.
Camfed supports girls and young women in Zambia.
- CAF helps Cecily's Fund to support children orphaned by AIDS, Charities Aid Foundation. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Cecily's Fund: What We Do. Retrieved 2010-06-08.
- Education Statistics and Quality of Education in Zambia, Southern and Eastern Africa Consortium for Monitoring Educational Quality (SACMEQ)
- Educationzambia.com - Your Engine of Knowledge
- TheZambian.com - Schools
- The University of Zambia in Lusaka
- The Cavendish University Zambia in Lusaka
- The Copperbelt University in Kitwe
- The Zambia Adventist University in Monze
- The Northrise University in Ndola
- The [http://www.vfu.ac.zm Victoria Falls University of Technology in Livingstone