Marilyn Burns, Teri McMinn, William Vail, Ed Neal, John Dugan, Ed Guinn, Allen Danziger from the TCM panel at Days of the Dead Indianapolis 2012.
July 12, 1945 |
Edwin Neal (born July 12, 1945) is an American actor, perhaps best known for his role as the Hitchhiker in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre or his role as Lord Zedd in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. He has been a top voice talent and actor for years appearing on screen and off in such diverse projects as The Lord of the Rings game providing four voices including the Villains. Three voices in Wii's Metroid Prime 3 and many more. He has worked with Oliver Stone on JFK and is Doctor Robotnik in Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie. Set a record, doing 26 different voices in the only completely unedited version of all 103 episodes of Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets), which included the lead villain Berg Katse. Ed provides three voices in a new Batman DC Universe Online game; the voices of Two-Face, Killer Croc, and Harvey Bullock.
Life and career
Born in Houston, Texas, Neal, after high school, studied at Lon Morris college in Jacksonville, Texas, before moving on to acting and directing studies at the University of Texas at Austin. While there, Neal auditioned for the role of the Hitchhiker in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and got it. He has said that when auditioning he acted as an eccentric relative of his. The movie went on to become a cult classic.
Neal still continues to act. His most notable roles since The Texas Chain Saw Massacre were playing the Mercer interrogator in Oliver Stone's JFK, and Big Chuck's Henchman in the 1993 movie My Boyfriend's Back. He has also done some voice work, for films, computer games and cartoons. Neal also annually tours worldwide making many public appearances as "The Hitchhiker" at horror conventions and related gatherings.
Neal was inducted into the "Hollywood Horror Hall of Fame" in 1993 alongside Vincent Price, and owns one of the world's largest movie poster collections, from 1900 to the present day. He received a Bronze Star for Valor during his service in Vietnam in 1969.
Neal currently lives in Austin, Texas and has six children: Kirsche Dickson, David Valenzuela, Heidi James, Morna Neal, Preston Neal, Marlee Neal and two step children: Angelina Hitchcock and Andrea Ramos.
- Bone Boys - Freddy
- Dropping Evil - President Strode
- Holy Hell - Bolton
- Shudder - Frances
- Satan's Playground - Boy
- Mr Hell - Freemont
- My Boyfriend's Back - Big Chuck's Henchman
- JFK - Mercer
- Good Girl, Bad Girl - Nolan
- Future Kill - Splatter
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - The Hitchhiker
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Lord Zedd
- Dai-Guard - Osugi
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie - Doctor Robotnik, President
- Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water - Jean's Uncle
- Final Fantasy: Unlimited - Pist Shaz
- Happy Lesson - Tanuki
- Soul Hunter - lisei
- Getter Robo Armageddon - Gai
- Gatchaman (ADV dub) - Berge Katse
- Steam Detectives - Dr. Guilty
- Lost Universe - Drunk, Barker, Superintendent General, and Roy Glen
- Moeyo Ken TV - Nekomaru
- Ninja Resurrection - Souiken Mori
- Zaion: I Wish You Were Here - Dr. Domeki
Video game roles
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Ghor, Trooper, Noncom, and Incidentals
- Lord of the Rings Several voices
- DC Universe Online - Two-Face, Killer Croc, Harvey Bullock, and Incidentals
- Love Lost in a Boat - Narration