Higuaín playing for the Columbus Crew in 2013
|Full name||Federico Fernando Higuaín|
|Date of birth||25 October 1984|
|Place of birth||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Forward / Attacking Midfielder|
|2005–2007||→ Nueva Chicago (loan)||77||(29)|
|2008||→ América (loan)||13||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 June, 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Higuaín signed with River Plate as a youngster playing 5 games and registering no goals. He soon went on loan to Nueva Chicago in the second division, where he played 77 league games, scoring 29 goals. He also impressed during stints at Godoy Cruz and Colón de Santa Fe.
His role is more to harass opposition defenses with intelligent runs, fine ball control and incisive passing. His hard work on and off the ball, and affable personality made him well liked wherever he played in Argentina.
Higuaín signed for the Columbus Crew as a the team's third ever designated player on 27 July 2012. The reported transfer fee for the deal was $650,000 USD which, if correct, is believed to be the highest transfer fee ever paid by the Crew. He made his Crew debut on 19 August 2012 as a substitute against the Houston Dynamo and assisted on the go-ahead goal by Eddie Gaven with a ball over the top just 13 minutes after entering the game. After Dynamo equalized, Higuaín almost put the Crew back into the lead with a direct free kick that went just wide of the goal in the 84th minute. For the Crew's next match on 22 August 2012 Higuaín got his first MLS start against Toronto FC. In the 4th minute, Higuaín once again set up an Eddie Gaven goal to take a 1-0 lead. In the 58th minute of the same match, Higuaín scored his first MLS goal, the game-winner, off of an assist by Jairo Arrieta meaning that Higuaín tallied a goal and two assists through his first two matches with the club. On the Crew's next matchday, Higuaín scored two goals from free kicks in an eventual 4-3 victory over the New England Revolution. For his performances over his first several matches, Higuaín was named the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for week 25, then again for week 26, of the 2012 Major League Soccer season by North American soccer journalists. Higuaín finished the season by scoring both goals of a 2-1 victory against Toronto FC on the final matchday.
On 10 August 2013, Higuaín scored a 20 yard chip which was voted Goal of the Week in a 2-0 victory over New York Red Bulls. On 17 August 2013, Higuaín scored a candidate for Goal of the Year in a 2-0 win over Toronto FC.
- As of 30 March 2014
- "Crew signs Argentine striker Federico Higuain as third Designated Player in Club history". Columbus Crew. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Columbus Paid Considerable Fee for Higuain". Crewture. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Merz, Craig. "Higuain leaves strong impressions after debut assist". MLS Soccer. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Crew vs. Toronto FC - August 22, 2012". Columbus Crew. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
- Merz, Craig. "Warzycha on Higuain: "It's amazing to have talent like this"". MLS Soccer. Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Borg, Simon. "Crew DP Higuain captures MLS Player of the Week award". MLS soccer. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Merz, Craig. "Crew's Higuain offers tasty teaser in season finale". MLS Soccer. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "MLS Match Recap: Chivas USA 0, Columbus Crew 3". Major League Soccer. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Spectacular Chip! Federico Higuaín (Columbus Crew) vs Toronto FC". inside World Soccer. 18 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Rosano, Nicholas. "Crew's Higuain lands MLS Newcomer of the Year award". MLS Soccer. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Boehm, Charles. "Higuain earns 2nd straight MLS Player of the Week nod". MLS Soccer. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "Player Profile". MLS Soccer. Retrieved 30 August 2012.