Football Federation of Kosovo
The Football Federation of Kosovo (FFK; Albanian: Federata e Futbollit e Kosovës; Serbian: Fudbalski Savez Kosova / Фудбалски Савез Косова) is the governing body of football in Kosovo,[a] with headquarters in Pristina. The Football Federation of Kosovo was established in 1946 and is currently headed by Fadil Vokrri. It organizes eight competitions of football in Kosovo:
- Superliga (the Superleague) with 12 clubs
- Liga e Parë (the First League) with 16 clubs
- Liga e Dytë (the Second League)
- Liga e Dytë Grupi i Veriut (the Second League North Group)
- Liga e Dytë Grupi i Jugut (the Second League South Group)
- Superliga - Juniorët
- Liga e Parë - Juniorët
- Kupa e Kosovës (the Kosovar Cup)
The Football Federation of Kosovo was rejected membership in FIFA and denied right to play any friendly matches as it was deemed it does not comply with article 10 of the FIFA statutes, that only "an independent state recognized by the international community" may be admitted into FIFA. During a visit to Serbia in March 2009, UEFA head Michel Platini reiterated that the Kosovo national football team could not join UEFA. Platini said, "Politics is not my job, and UEFA honors its statute, which is clear: a state that does not belong to the U.N. cannot become a member of the organization, but I would like for us to find a way for young people in Kosovo to play football." — though non-UN members like Scotland and Switzerland until 2002 were full members of UEFA since the 20th century.
FIFA reverted the decision in May 22, 2012, stating that Kosovo may play other nations in international friendlies according to Article 79 of the FIFA Statutes.
Notes and references
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Serbia and the self-proclaimed Republic of Kosovo. The latter declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. Kosovo's independence has been recognised by 101 out of 193 United Nations member states.|
- FIFA's finances solid
- "Platini: "Kosovo" cannot join UEFA". Emportal. 2009-04-05. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- FIFA Will Meet KFF Delegation. Albanian Daily News. January 5, 2006[dead link]
- New competition system approved by FFK (FFK) (May 18, 2009)
- "FIFA ExCo makes reform progress and Audit and Compliance Committee appointment". Media Release. FIFA.com. 22 May 2012. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Football Federation of Kosovo Official website