McCleary playing for Reading in 2013
|Full name||Garath James McCleary|
|Date of birth||15 May 1987|
|Place of birth||Oxford, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:47, 17 May 2015 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
McCleary was born in Oxford, Oxfordshire. His football career began with Oxford City, and spent time with Oxford United but never signed a contract with the team despite spending 3 months with the club.
He joined Slough Town playing in 24 games and scoring on six occasions. He then moved to Bromley in January 2007. In total McCleary made over 40 appearances for Bromley scoring 11 goals. Nottingham Forest manager Colin Calderwood offered him a trial at the City Ground where he did well enough to secure a contract on 31 January 2008.
McCleary made his first team debut as an 87th minute substitute, in a 1–0 home defeat against Carlisle United, on 3 March 2008. He scored his first goal for the club on 1 April 2008 in injury time, in a 2–0 win at Carlisle. On 5 April he was handed his first start where he was voted Man of the Match as Forest beat Cheltenham Town 3–1 at the City Ground.
In the 2011/12 season McCleary scored nine goals after returning from injury in December 2011; six of which came in March 2012. Four came in a high-scoring game away to Leeds United at Elland Road, where Forest won 7–3. These performances resulted in McCleary being named as the Football League Championship Player of the Month. He was voted Forest's Player of the Season by the Forest supporters, beating Joel Lynch and Chris Gunter into second and third respectively.
On 16 May 2012 it was announced that McCleary had turned down a new contract at Forest and instead signed a three-year contract at Reading and fulfill his dream of playing in the Premier League. His first goal for Reading came in a 3–3 draw with Fulham.
In October 2012 he was earmarked by the Jamaica Football Federation to play for Jamaica during their 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign. He received his first call up on 24 January 2013 alongside Reading team mates Jobi McAnuff and Adrian Mariappa for the World Cup qualifier against Mexico on 6 February. McCleary started the match and helped Jamaica to a 0–0 draw at the Estadio Azteca.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Oxford City||2004–05||Southern West||22||3||1||0||—||6[a]||3||29||6|
|Slough Town||2005–06||Isthmian Premier||24||7||0||0||—||7[b]||2||31||9|
|Nottingham Forest||2007–08||League One||8||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||8||1|
- Two appearances and two goals in the FA Trophy, one appearance and one goal in the Southern League Cup and three appearances in the Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- Five appearances and two goals in the Isthmian League Cup, two appearances in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup
- Appearance in the Isthmian League Cup
- Appearance in the Championship play-offs
- Nottingham Forest
- Player of the Season: 2011–12
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 263. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- Smith, Russell (7 February 2008). "Ex-City star shines at Forest". The Oxford Times (Newsquest). Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- "Team | Player Profiles | Garath McCleary". Nottingham Forest F.C. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- "Garath McCleary". Bridportred.com. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- "Countdown To Kick-Off: Nottingham Forest (H)". dcfc.co.uk (Derby County F.C.). 13 March 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- "Garath McCleary; Season 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Racing Post. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Leeds United 3–7 Nottingham Forest". BBC Sport. 20 March 2012. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "McCleary named Player of the Month". The Football League. 6 April 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "G-Mac And Adi Land Awards". nottinghamforest.co.uk (Nottingham Forest F.C.). 28 April 2012. Archived from the original on 4 July 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "Royals Appointment For McCleary". nottinghamforest.co.uk (Nottingham Forest F.C.). 16 May 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Royals sign Garath McCleary". readingfc.co.uk (Reading F.C.). 16 May 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Reading 3–3 Fulham".
- "Reggae, steady, go for Prem stars". The Sun. 31 October 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Pearce earns call up". Reading FC. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Reggae Boyz hold Mexico nil all at the Azteca". Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- "Oxford City 2004–05 fixtures". Citystats. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Garath McCleary profile". Slough Town F.C. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "2007–08 First Team statistics". Bromley F.C. Archived from the original on 21 February 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
FA Cup ties sourced individually to: "Lillies have lucky escape". Bromley News Shopper. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
"Lillies leave it late". Bromley News Shopper. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
"Bromley through to next round". Bromley News Shopper. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
"Lillies fury at penalty exit". Bromley News Shopper. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Garath McCleary career statistics". Soccerbase. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Garath McCleary.|
- Garath McCleary profile at Reading F.C.
- Garath McCleary profile at the Jamaica Football Federation
- Garath McCleary career statistics at Soccerbase
- Garath McCleary at National-Football-Teams.com