George Nevill, 4th Baron Bergavenny
Elizabeth (surname unknown)
George Neville, 5th Baron Bergavenny
Sir Edward Neville
Sir Thomas Neville
Sir Richard Neville
|Noble family||House of Neville|
|Father||Edward Neville, 3rd Baron Bergavenny|
|Died||20 September 1492|
George Neville, or Nevill, 4th and de jure 2nd Baron Bergavenny (c.1440 – 20 September 1492) was an English nobleman.
George Neville was the son of Edward Neville, 3rd Baron Bergavenny and Elizabeth Beauchamp. He was knighted by Edward IV on 9 May 1471, after fighting for the King at the Battle of Tewkesbury. He succeeded his father in 1476.
Marriages and issue
Neville married firstly, before 1 May 1471, Margaret Fenne (d. 28 September 1485), the daughter and heiress of Hugh Fenne, Treasurer of the Household to King Henry VI, Escheator of Norfolk & Suffolk and Eleanor Fiennes, by whom he had six sons and a daughter:
- John Neville.
- William Neville.
- Sir Edward Neville (1471–1538), who married, before 6 April 1529, Eleanor (née Windsor), widow of Ralph Scrope, 9th Baron Scrope (d. 17 September 1515), and daughter of Andrew Windsor, 1st Baron Windsor. He was the ancestor of George Washington through his granddaughter Catherine.
- Sir Thomas Neville (c.1484–1542), Speaker of the House of Commons, who married firstly Katherine Dacre, and secondly Elizabeth Bryce.
- Sir Richard Neville (bef. 1485 – c.1515).
- Elizabeth Neville, who married firstly Thomas Berkeley, esquire, of Avon, Hampshire, and secondly Richard Covert, esquire, of Slaugham, Sussex.
He married secondly a wife named Elizabeth whose surname is unknown. She was the widow successively of Richard Naylor, Sir Robert Bassett, and John Stokker. There were no issue of his second marriage.
- Doyle, James Edmund (1886). The Official Baronage of England. vol. I. London: Longmans, Green & Co. p. 4.
- Cokanye 1910, p. 31.
- Richardson I 2011, pp. 168–70.
- Richardson I 2011, p. 168.
- Richardson I 2011, p. 170.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1910). The Complete Peerage, edited by Vicary Gibbs I. London: St. Catherine Press. pp. 30–1.
- Davies, Catharine (2004). "Neville, Sir Thomas (b. in or before 1484, d. 1542)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/19964. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966373.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2014)|
|Peerage of England|
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|