George Nevill, 5th Baron Bergavenny
George Neville, 5th Baron Bergavenny, by Hans Holbein the Younger
Mary Brooke alias Cobham
IssueHenry Neville, 6th Baron Bergavenny
daughter whose name is unknown
|Noble family||House of Neville|
|Father||George Neville, 4th Baron Bergavenny|
George Neville was born in Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, the son of George Neville, 4th Baron Bergavenny, by his first wife, Margaret Fenne (d. 28 September 1485), daughter of Hugh Fenne, sub-treasurer of England. Margaret was born about 1444 at Scoulton Burdeleys in Norfolk.
He was an elder brother of Sir Thomas Neville, a trusted councillor of King Henry VIII and Speaker of the House of Commons, and the courtier Sir Edward Neville who was executed in 1540 on order of King Henry VIII, charged with devising to maintain, promote, and advance King Henry's cousin, Cardinal Reginald Pole, late Dean of Exeter, enemy of the King, beyond the sea, and to deprive the King.
Neville fought against the Cornish rebels on 17 June 1497 at the Battle of Blackheath. At the coronation of King Henry VIII in 1509, he held the office of Chief Larderer. On 18 December 1512, King Henry VIII granted him the castle and lands of Abergavenny. From 1521 to 1522 he was imprisoned on suspicion of conspiring with his father-in-law, the Duke of Buckingham. At the coronation of Anne Boleyn in 1533, Nevill once again held the honour of Chief Larderer and was allowed to officiate.
Marriages and issue
Neville married firstly Joan FitzAlan (d. 14 November 1508), the daughter of Thomas FitzAlan, 17th Earl of Arundel, and Margaret Woodville (d. before 4 August 1492), second daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers. She was a younger sister of Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV. According to Hawkyard, the marriage was childless; however according to Cokayne and Richardson, there were two daughters of the marriage:
- Elizabeth Neville, who married Henry Daubeney, 1st Earl of Bridgewater.
- Jane Neville, who married Henry Pole, 1st Baron Montagu, elder brother of Cardinal Reginald Pole, executed in 1539.
- Henry Neville, 6th Baron Bergavenny.
- John Neville.
- Thomas Neville.
- Mary Neville, who married firstly Thomas Fiennes, 9th Baron Dacre; secondly John Wotton; and thirdly Francis Thursby, esquire.
- Katherine Neville, who married Sir John St. Leger.
- Margaret Neville, who married firstly John Cheney, and secondly Henry Poole, esquire.
- Dorothy Neville (d.1559), who married, as his first wife, William Brooke, 10th Baron Cobham, by whom she had a daughter, Frances Brooke, who married firstly Thomas Coppinger (1546–1580), and secondly Edward Becher.
- Ursula Neville, who married Sir Warham St Leger.
He married fourthly his former servant, Mary Brooke alias Cobham, by whom he had a daughter whose name is unknown.
- Blazon per Debrett's Peerage, 1968, which gives no tinctures for rose, which are however given as stated in brackets for Neville Barons Braybrooke
- Burke 1832, pp. 8-9.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 31.
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 17.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 32.
- Cokayne 1910, p. 33.
- Hawkyard 2004.
- Cokayne 1916, p. 105.
- Richardson I 2011, pp. 37-8, 170.
- Richardson III 2011, pp. 377.
- Richardson I 2011, p. 170.
- According to Cokayne she was the daughter of William Brent.
- Richardson I 2011, pp. 170-1.
- McKeen 1986, p. 700.
- Burke, John (1832). A General and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire I. London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley. pp. 8–9. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1910). The Complete Peerage, edited by Vicary Gibbs I. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1916). The Complete Peerage, edited by the Honourable Vicary Gibbs IV. London: St. Catherine Press.
- Hawkyard, Alasdair (2004). Neville, George, third Baron Bergavenny (c.1469–1535). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 27 September 2013. (subscription required)
- McKeen, David (1986). A Memory of Honour; The Life of William Brooke, Lord Cobham I. Salzburg: Universitat Salzburg. p. 700.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham I (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 1449966373
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X
|Ancestors of George Nevill, 5th Baron Bergavenny|
Sir Edward Poyning
|Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports
Sir Edward Guilford
|Peerage of England|