|Birth name||Bradley Mark Stewart|
|Also known as||Bradley Anne Stewart|
September 11, 1969|
Hollywood, Florida, USA
|Died||October 8, 2008
Burbank, California, USA
|Instruments||Bass guitar, Guitar|
|Associated acts||Marilyn Manson
Gidget Gein (September 11, 1969 – October 8, 2008), born Bradley Stewart, was an American musician and artist. He was the second bassist and co-founder of the alternative metal band Marilyn Manson. His stage name references and dichotomises serial killer Ed Gein and the fictional 1960s surfer girl Gidget.
Bradley Stewart was born in Hollywood, Florida. He was born to a Catholic school teacher mother and police officer father. As his biological mother and father began to separate, Bradley's early childhood character was molded through an acid-fallout[clarification needed] host of 1970s kid shows, AM-radio, and drive-in movies, while learning to play guitar through a Catholic priest.
A bit further on in his life in the mid 80s, he would be seen as a popular clothing model and local band member while enjoying his leisure time as an effective South Florida band heckler.
Gein's character, style, and reputation at this point had become the prototype for what young Brian Warner would adapt into a Marilyn Manson ideal. As they became closer friends, Bradley and Brian's personalities expressed themselves through fun ideals in Gidget Gein and Marilyn Manson. The personal stylings, influences, and experiences of each member would showcase as Marilyn Manson & the Spooky Kids to the south Florida music scene and eventually gain the attention of a newly successful Trent Reznor.
As the band became more famous after dropping the "Spooky Kids" title in 1992, Gidget's personality was becoming more chaotic through extensive drug use and other various acts of debauchery. In October 1993, Reznor agreed to rework the production on Marilyn Manson's album, taking them and their tapes to The Record Plant in Los Angeles. On the Christmas Eve of 1993, when finding himself in a hospital bed after a heroin overdose, Gidget was informed that his services were no longer needed by Marilyn Manson. He was replaced by Jeordie White, now known as Twiggy Ramirez. Gidget's path of indulgence would continue for years after his departure from the band. He moved to New York in 1999, befriending many artists and characters over the next few years. As his own art and ideas began to gather, he formed a group called Gidget Gein and the Dali Gaggers with guitarist Al B. Romano which featured various fun displays of degenerate art, ideas, and post-punk styled songwriting. Before the release of the Dali Gaggers only album Confessions of a Spooky Kid, the temptation of the New York city party scene proved to be too strong for Gein and he headed back to Florida in order to kick his drug addiction for good.
Once back in Florida, Gidget began work for the south Florida medical examiner as a "Bag Boy". Over years of retrieving and cleaning up after the deceased, Gidget continued to gather extreme experiences and ideas for more and more art. His experiences at the medical examiner's office have been documented in various international magazines and spurred early production of a motion picture based on this period of his life. Over time his arsenal of art and ideas began to outweigh his position as a Bag Boy and Gidget found a friendship with the freshly announced UNPOP art movement and, surprisingly, a collaboration with Marilyn Manson and Asia Argento in a music video for the song "(s)AINT", which was later banned by Manson's record label Interscope Records. Leaving Florida behind in 2004 and taking his collection with him, Gidget began to execute art and fashion shows in Hollywood, California, under the organised name GOLLYWOOD. His creation of sculpture, bedroom and bathroom suites, clothing, themed music, and books continued to develop in Hollywood in association with his fans, associates and close friends.
After some years of sobriety, Stewart died of a heroin overdose on October 8, 2008 at 9:30PM - as cited by the Los Angeles County Coroners office, at a friend's home in Burbank, California. His body was found on the following day.
On December 8, 2008, a memorial benefit at the Dragonfly in Los Angeles, featured Gein’s art and an array of friends and fans performing in his honor. The guest list included Ego Plum, Kim Fowley, ex Courtney Love, guitarist Lisa Leveridge, Jessicka, Allen Wrench, Lenora Claire, Courtney Cruz, Ramzi Abed, Brian Clark (co-founder of UnPop art movement to which Gein belonged), Bill Shafer of Hyaena Gallery(his art representative), Damian Crowley, Hollie Stevens, and drag queens Squeaky Blonde and Fade-Dra. Funds raised from the gathering will buy Gein a memorial plaque at Hollywood Forever cemetery (his ashes are with his mother in Florida, his homestate).
A commemorative tribute was filmed on October 9, 2010 at the horror convention 'Spooky Empire', based in Orlando, Florida. Participants included Al B. Romano, Billy Baker, Parris Mayhew, Mike Merryfield, CC Manded and Petey Mongelli. The 9-part compendium was filmed by the Film Director/Artist/Musician Cynosure and is respectively owned by Cynosure Enterprises. The film closes with Gein's memorial plaque, embellished with the slogan, 'Luv is GG'.
- Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids, Grist-O-Line (1990)
- Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids, Big Black Bus (1990)
- Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids, After School Special (1991)
- Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids, Lunchbox (1992)
- Marilyn Manson, Portrait of an American Family (1994)
- Dali Gaggers, Just AdNauseam (1998)
- Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids, Lunch Boxes & Choklit Cows (2004)
- Gidget Gein, Suspension of Disbelief (2007)
- Gidget Gein, Law of Diminishing Return (2007)
- Gidget Gein, Rig Demos (2007)
- God Is in the TV (1999) (V) .... Himself
- Demystifying the Devil: Biography Marilyn Manson (2000) .... Himself
- Marilyn Manson - (s)AINT (2003)
- The Three Trials (2006)
- The Devil's Muse (2007) .... Detective Jeffrey Mourir
- In a Spiral State (2008) .... Avi
- Kaufman, Gil (2008-10-13). "Former Marilyn Manson Bassist Gidget Gein Dead At 39 - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- "RIP GIDGET GEIN- LOCAL ARTIST & FORMER MARILYN MANSON BASSIST FOUND DEAD" LA Weekly October 10, 2008
- "Former Marilyn Manson Bandmate Dies Of Overdose". Starpulse.com. October 13, 2008. Retrieved July 27, 2010.
- MTV.com:"/ MTV news Oct 13, 2008". URL accessed March 2, 2009.
- Lecaro, Lina.LA WEEKLY- "NIGHTRANGER ATTENDS THE GIDGET GEIN MEMORIAL" December 09, 2008
- Gidget Gein's official site, now maintained by Nancy Marzulli
- Gidget Gein at the Internet Movie Database
- Gidget Gein at Find a Grave
- Dali Gaggers on Last.fm