Trevi in 2006
||Gloria de los Ángeles Treviño Ruiz
|Also known as
||Gloria Trevi, La Trevi
February 15, 1968 |
Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
||Rock, Pop, Alternative
||Singer-songwriter, writer, philanthropist, actress, TV hostess, music video director
||Sony Music Ariola 1989–2004, Univision Music Group 2005–2008, Universal Music Group 2005–
Gloria Trevi (born Gloria de los Ángeles Treviño Ruiz on February 15, 1968) is a Mexican pop-rock singer-songwriter. Called the "Supreme Diva of Mexican Pop" by the music channel VH1, Trevi has sold more than 20 million records.
Born in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico, Gloria Trevi left Monterrey at the age of twelve to pursue a career in Mexico City, where she met her future manager, Sergio Andrade. She had earlier sung and danced on the streets for spare change, taught aerobics, and served quesadillas at a food stand.
In 1985, Trevi was a member of a short-lived girl group named Boquitas Pintadas. After the group broke up in 1988, she approached Sergio Andrade for the production of her first solo album, ¿Qué Hago Aquí? ("What am I doing Here?"), was released in 1989 and scored a number one hit, Dr. Psiquiatra.
Trevi followed this first record with Tu Ángel de la Guarda ("Your Guardian Angel"), which was even more successful. Pelo Suelto was successful too, reaching number one all over Latin America and in Spain. Her third album, Me siento tan sola ("I Feel So Lonely"), was released in 1992 garnering another hit, Zapatos Viejos ("Old Shoes"). All three albums were recorded in Los Angeles, California. In 1993, Trevi was nominated for Pop Female Artist of the Year at the Lo Nuestro Awards.
In 2000, Trevi, Andrade, and backup singer Maria Raquenel Portillo were arrested in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on charges of corrupting minors. A year later, Trevi announced that she was pregnant while in prison; the father of the child was Andrade, according to DNA tests by the Brazilian authorities (Trevi and her defence claimed that the results of the DNA test were doctored). Trevi was cleared of the charges in 2004, due to lack of evidence, after spending four years and eight months in prison.
Trevi married Armando Gómez, a lawyer, in 2009. She now lives in McAllen, Texas.
She will star as the protagonist (alongside with Gabriel Soto) in Emilio Larrosa's telenovela: Libre para amarte.
- Tu Ángel de la Guarda literally means "Your guardian angel" but contains the idiomatic expression for "condom".
- Más Turbada Que Nunca literally means "More crazy than ever" but is a sexual reference to the word "Masturbated"
Singles (U.S. Billboard Hot Latin Songs)
- 1993: Cántalo tú mismo (BMG Ariola)
- 1997: ¡De pelos! Lo mejor de la Trevi (BMG Ariola)
- 1999: No soy monedita de oro (BMG Ariola) (I am not a gold digger)
- 2008: Una Rosa Blu (Deluxe Edition) (Universal)
- 2009: Lo escencial de Gloria Trevi (Sony Music)
- 2009: 6 Super Hits (Universal)
- ^ Gloria Trevi celebrará mañana su cumpleaños número 43
- ^ a b ::: Gloria Trevi Página Oficial :::
- ^ Slick Transit Gloria - New York Times
- ^ Lannert, John (March 30, 1993). "Secada Lead Latin Noms Following Grammy Win". Billboard (Nielsen Business Media, Inc.) 105 (10): 10. Retrieved January 03, 2013.
- ^ Mexican Star in Sex Case Is Arrested in Rio
- ^ Prosecutor wants charges against Trevi
- ^ a b Mexico's Madonna free at last in climax to real-life soap
- ^ Mexican pop diva Gloria Trevi marries attorney
- ^ Gloria Trevi confirma su protagónico