Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni and Visitors Center
|Gordon B. Hinckley
Alumni & Visitors Center
|Construction started||June 23, 2006|
|Completed||June 23, 2007|
|Floor area||83,000 square feet (7,700 m2)
(7,432 sq. m)
|Design and construction|
|Main contractor||Okland Construction
Announcement and fund-raising
On June 23, 2006, Hinckley's 96th birthday, ground was broken for the building. Hinckley was joined by university administrators, other BYU trustees, and donors. He opted to use a well-worn shovel chosen from his own garden tools rather than the ceremonial blue and white shovels used by other participants, which was later donated to the visitors center after its completion.
Completion and dedication
The building was completed and dedicated exactly one year from the date of the groundbreaking, sooner than expected. Hinckley and other LDS Church leaders attended the dedication where items were collected and inserted into a time capsule. The $35 million project was paid for entirely from donations of over 70,000 individuals including 8,000 students and 49,000 alumni.
At 83,000 square feet (7,432 sq. m), the building has three stories and a lower level. It includes a clocktower and due to its elevation, the building is highly visible from the campus and while approaching the campus.
- Walch, T. (2006, May 31). BYU getting a new alumni center. Deseret News, pp. B01.
- Okland Construction. (2007). BYU Gordon B Hinckley Alumni & Visitor's Center. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://www.okland-const.com/project_details.cfm?id=304&classid=19&cat=Higher%20Education
- Davis, J. (2006, June 23). President Hinckley breaks ground for new alumni center. Daily Universe. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/60216
- Walch, T. (2007, June 24). BYU's new gateway: Gordon B. Hinckley Center dedicated on his 97th birthday. Deseret News. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,680193534,00.html
- LDS Philanthropies. (Unknown last update). Gordon B. Hinckley Building. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://www.lds.org/ldsfoundation/accelwork/priority/1,7476,758-1-3-808,00.html
- Span Construction. (Unknown last update). Project: Gordon B. Hinckley Alumni Build - Provo, UT Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://www.spanconstruction.com/span/project_full.html?project_id=84&class_id=3
- FFKR Architects. (2007, April 03). Projects. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://www.ffkr.com/projects/index.html
- Walch, T. (2005, December 29). Y. raising funds for Hinckley Center. Deseret News. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635172341,00.html
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (2004). Gordon B. Hinckley. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/presidents/controllers/potcController.jsp?leader=15&topic=facts
- Warnock, C. (2007, June 24). LDS president turns 97, dedicates visitors center. Daily Herald. Retrieved June 24, 2007, from http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/226645/3/
- Springgay, J. (2007, June 25). Welcome home; Pres. Hinckley visits namesake building. The Daily Universe. Retrieved June 1, 2010, from http://nn.byu.edu/pdf/du20070625.pdf
- Brigham Young University. (2007, June 19). BYU to dedicate new campus gateway. Press release.
- Official building website - http://alumni.byu.edu/hinckley-center/
- Brigham Young University website - http://www.byu.edu/