|• Total||2.261 sq mi (5.856 km2)|
|• Land||2.261 sq mi (5.856 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
|• Density||170/sq mi (67/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature IDs||224619, 2583030|
Grimes (formerly, Grimes Landing) is a census-designated place in Colusa County, California on the Southern Pacific Railroad. It lies at an elevation of 46 feet (14 m). Its zip code is 95950 and its area code is 530. Grimes's population was 391 at the 2010 census.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Grimes had a population of 391. The population density was 172.9 people per square mile (66.8/km²). The racial makeup of Grimes was 284 (72.6%) White, 7 (1.8%) African American, 3 (0.8%) Native American, 1 (0.3%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 65 (16.6%) from other races, and 31 (7.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 258 persons (66.0%).
The Census reported that 391 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 130 households, out of which 48 (36.9%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 73 (56.2%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 13 (10.0%) had a female householder with no husband present, 5 (3.8%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 10 (7.7%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 0 (0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 33 households (25.4%) were made up of individuals and 12 (9.2%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.01. There were 91 families (70.0% of all households); the average family size was 3.70.
The population was spread out with 120 people (30.7%) under the age of 18, 31 people (7.9%) aged 18 to 24, 96 people (24.6%) aged 25 to 44, 104 people (26.6%) aged 45 to 64, and 40 people (10.2%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33.6 years. For every 100 females there were 96.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.8 males.
There were 145 housing units at an average density of 64.1 per square mile (24.8/km²), of which 71 (54.6%) were owner-occupied, and 59 (45.4%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 4.1%; the rental vacancy rate was 9.2%. 210 people (53.7% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 181 people (46.3%) lived in rental housing units.
In the state legislature, Grimes is in the 4th Senate District, represented by Republican Jim Nielsen, and the 4th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Mariko Yamada. Federally, Grimes is in California's 3rd congressional district, represented by Democrat John Garamendi.
- U.S. Census
- "Grimes". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 495. ISBN 9781884995149.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Grimes, California
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "California's 3rd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.