|Type||Private Employee Owned Corporation|
|Industry||Architecture, Engineering, Consulting|
|Founded||Omaha, Nebraska USA (1917)|
|Headquarters||Omaha, Nebraska USA|
|Key people||George A. Little, Chairman and CEO|
HDR Inc. is an employee-owned architectural, engineering and consulting firm based in Omaha, Nebraska, USA. HDR has worked on projects in all 50 U.S. states and in 60 countries, including notable projects such as the Hoover Dam Bypass, Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, and the The Roslin Institute building. The firm employs professionals representing hundreds of disciplines in the architecture, energy, federal, private land development, resource management, transportation and water markets.
Founded in 1917 by H.H. Henningson, the Henningson Engineering Company got its start as a civil engineering firm in Omaha, where HDR's headquarters remain today. Willard Richardson and Charles W. "Chuck" Durham joined the firm in 1939 as interns. By the 1950s, Richardson and Durham had purchased shares in the firm, and it became known as Henningson, Durham and Richardson, Inc.
The company's first project was designing a power station for the city of Ogallala, Nebraska. Similar projects followed as the firm helped cities and towns throughout the Midwestern United States create the water, sewer, electric and road systems that would help them emerge from frontier status. The company built a reputation for quality and integrity, operating under the philosophy "Work Well Done."
HDR Architecture 
HDR Architecture, which is a company within the HDR, Inc. family, is known for its award-winning designs of a full range of urban environments, campuses and buildings for clients in the healthcare, civic, justice, science + technology, higher education, and corporate and commercial fields.
The firm's role in large, high-profile projects has made it the fifth largest architectural firm in the United States, according to Architectural Record's 2012 "Top 250 Design Firms" ranking. Other industry rankings:
- Modern Healthcare magazine has ranked HDR the No. 1 healthcare design firm in its annual Construction & Design Survey for ten consecutive years.
- Building Design magazine named HDR the 12th largest architecture firm in the world, the second largest North American design firm, and the world's No. 1 healthcare and science facility design firm in its 2013 "World Architecture 100" ranking 
- Building Design + Construction magazine ranked HDR No. 2 in its "Giants 300" ranking of architecture/engineering firms. The magazine also ranked HDR the No. 1 healthcare, science + technology, and military facility design firm 
- Healthcare Design magazine ranked HDR No. 1 for healthcare billings and healthcare contracts signed in its 2012 Corporate Rankings 
HDR was the first A/E firm to join the U.S. Green Building Council in 1994, and was activiely involved in the development of the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating Tool. More recently, the firm received attention for its Sustainable Return on Investment (SROI) process, which helps clients evaluate their sustainable strategies today and into the future.
In the early 1990s, HDR formally established a Sustainable Solutions Program tasked with integrating sustainability into all business practices. Today, the program has expanded to include all aspects of the A/E/C industry, including climatology, building design, mobility, natural resources, climate change, renewable energy, land-use planning, and economic and environmental modeling.
Recent Acquisitions 
In February 2011, HDR acquired Cooper Medical, an Oklahoma City, Oklahoma-based firm providing integrated design and construction services for healthcare facilities throughout the U.S. The new alliance, HDR Cooper Medical, will provide a full service design and construction delivery model to healthcare clients ranging from small outpatient clinics and specialty centers to large multi-specialty clinics as well as critical access and community hospitals. Also in February 2011, HDR acquired Schiff Associates, a recognized leader in corrosion engineering headquartered in Claremont, Calif., with offices in Houston, Las Vegas and San Diego. Schiff is now conducting business as HDR|Schiff.
In January 2011, HDR acquired HydroQual, Inc., which specializes in water resource management. Based in Mahwah, N.J., HydroQual has nine offices in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Florida, Utah and Dubai. HydroQual is now conducting business as HDR|HydroQual. Also in January 2011, HDR acquired Amnis Engineering Ltd., based in Vancouver, British Columbia. The firm provides engineering and consulting services in British Columbia and a number of international locations for hydropower and water resources infrastructure.
In March 2013, HDR aquired TMK Architekten • Ingenieure, one of Germany's leading healthcare architecture firms. The merged company conducts business as HDR TMK, and is the hub for HDR's healthcare and science + technology design programs in Europe. HDR TMK has offices in Berlin, Dortmund, Duesseldorf, Erfurt, Kiel, and Leipzig, Germany. With the merger of the Germany-based TMK Architekten • Ingenieure and HDR Inc to HDR TMK Planungsgesellschaft mbH  in March 2013, the company will conduct business as the European hub of the global HDR Inc. thus enlarging HDR’s existing portfolio particularly in the fields of education, science and research.
Notable designs 
- Hoover Dam Bypass, Arizona-Nevada
- Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication building at Arizona State University, Arizona-Nevada
- Holland Performing Arts Center, Omaha-Nebraska
- Johnnie B. Byrd, Sr. Alzheimer's Center & Research Institute, Tampa-Florida
- San Antonio River Walk, San Antonio-Texas
- The new Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas-Texas
- Williams, John (2009-10-05). "Engineering HDR & SROI: How to Measure "Green"". Center for a Better Life. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "HDR acquires healthcare design-build firm Cooper Medical | Building Design + Construction". Bdcnetwork.com. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "CE News". CE News. 2011-01-13. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "Amnis Engineering Joins HDR, Strengthens Hydropower Presence < HDR, Inc". Hdrinc.com. 2011-01-07. Retrieved 2011-11-06.