HP QuickTest Professional
|Developer(s)||HP/HP Software Division|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||test automation tools|
|Website||HP Functional Testing|
HP QuickTest Professional software provides functional and regression test automation for software applications and environments. Part of the HP Quality Center tool suite, HP QuickTest Professional can be used for enterprise quality assurance.
HP QuickTest Professional supports keyword and scripting interfaces and features a graphical user interface. It uses the Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) scripting language to specify a test procedure, and to manipulate the objects and controls of the application under test.
HP QuickTest Professional was originally written by Mercury Interactive. Mercury Interactive was subsequently acquired by Hewlett Packard (HP) in 2006. HP QuickTest Professional 11 is currently available from HP Software Division.
HP Professional is automated testing software designed for testing various software applications and environments. It performs functional and regression testing through a user interface such as a native GUI or web interface. It works by identifying the objects in the application user interface or a web page and performing desired operations (such as mouse clicks or keyboard events); it can also capture object properties like name or handler ID. HP QuickTest Professional uses a VBScript scripting language to specify the test procedure and to manipulate the objects and controls of the application under test. To perform more sophisticated actions, users may need to manipulate the underlying VBScript.
Although HP QuickTest Professional is usually used for "UI Based" Test Case Automation, it also can automate some "Non-UI" based Test Cases such as file system operations, database testing or Web services testing.
Exception handling 
HP QuickTest Professional manages exception handling using recovery scenarios; the goal is to continue running tests if an unexpected failure occurs. Because HP QuickTest Professional hooks into the memory space of the applications being tested, some exceptions may cause HP QuickTest Professional to terminate and be unrecoverable.
Data-driven testing 
HP QuickTest Professional supports data-driven testing. For example, data can be output to a data table for reuse elsewhere. Data-driven testing is implemented as a Microsoft Excel workbook that can be accessed from HP QuickTest Professional. HP QuickTest Professional has two types of data tables: the Global data sheet and Action (local) data sheets. The test steps can read data from these data tables in order to drive variable data into the application under test, and verify the expected result.
Automating custom and complex UI objects 
HP QuickTest Professional may not recognize customized user interface objects and other complex objects. Users can define these types of objects as virtual objects. HP QuickTest Professional support virtual objects for analog recording or recording in low-level mode.
HP QuickTest Professional can be extended with separate add-ins for a number of development environments that are not supported out-of-the-box. HP QuickTest Professional add-ins include support for Web, .NET, Java, and Delphi. HP QuickTest Professional and the HP QuickTest Professional add-ins are packaged together in HP Functional Testing software. 
User interface 
HP QuickTest Professional provides two views—and ways to modify—a test script: Keyword View and Expert View. These views enable HP QuickTest Professional to act as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for the test, and HP QuickTest Professional includes many standard IDE features, such as breakpoints to pause a test at predetermined places.
Keyword view 
Keyword View lets users create and view the steps of a test in a modular, table format. Each row in the table represents a step that can be modified. The Keyword View can also contain any of the following columns: Item, Operation, Value, Assignment, Comment, and Documentation. For every step in the Keyword View, HP QuickTest Professional displays a corresponding line of script based on the row and column value. Users can add, delete or modify steps at any point.
In Keyword View, users can also view properties for items such as checkpoints, output values, and actions, use conditional and loop statements, and insert breakpoints to assist in debugging a test.
Expert view 
In Expert View, HP QuickTest Professional lets users display and edit a test's source code using VBScript. Designed for more advanced users, users can edit all test actions except for the root Global action, and changes are synchronized with the Keyword View.
HP QuickTest Professional uses VBScript as its scripting language. VBScript supports classes but not polymorphism and inheritance. Compared with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), VBScript lacks the ability to use some Visual Basic keywords, does not come with an integrated debugger, lacks an event handler, and does not have a forms editor. HP has added a debugger, but the functionality is more limited when compared with testing tools that integrate a full-featured IDE, such as those provided with VBA, Java, or VB.NET.
HP QuickTest Professional runs only in Windows environments. It relies on largely obsolete Windows-only technologies such as ActiveX and VBScript which is not an object oriented language.
High licensing costs often mean that the tool is not widely used in an organization, but instead is limited to a smaller testing team. This encourages a siloed approach to QA/testing where testing is performed as a separate phase rather than a collaborative approach where QA/testers work closely with the business and development teams (as is advocated by newer agile approaches to software development.)
Supported Technologies 
The supported technologies, depending on the QTP version, are available for Web, Java (Core and Advanced), .Net, WPF, SAP, Oracle, Siebel, PeopleSoft, Delphi, Power Builder, Stingray 1, Terminal Emulator, Flex, Web Services, Windows Mobile, VisualAge Smalltalk, Silverlight and mainframe terminal emulators.
- 11.5 - Released in 2012
- 11.0 - Released in 2010
- 10.0 - Released in 2009
- 9.5 - Released in 2008
- 9.2 - Released in 2007
- 9.1 - Released in 2007
- 9.0 - Released in 2006
- 8.2 - Released in 2005
- 8.0 - Released in 2004
- 7.0 - Never released.
- 6.5 - Released in 2003
- 6.0 - Released in 2002
- 5.5 - First release. Released in 2001
License models 
HP Quality Center Integration 
HP QuickTest Professional and HP Quality Center work together for additional testing capabilities. Users can use HP Quality Center with HP QuickTest assets, such as tests, shared object repositories, libraries, recovery scenarios and external data tables.
See also 
- HP QuickTest Professional software data sheet
- "A complete guide to working on Quality Center with QTP". Learn QTP. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "HP Release QTP 10.0". Automatedtestinginstitute.com. 2009-03-07. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Mercury QuickTest Professional (QTP) Evaluation". Devbistro.com. 2006-11-08. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "HP Press Release: HP Closes Landmark Mercury Acquisition; Companies Unite to Lead in Business Technology Optimization Software". Hp.com. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "HP QuickTest Professional - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com". Download.cnet.com. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Software Testing FAQ: GUI Test Drivers". Testingfaqs.org. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "QTP with Descriptive programming". Slideshare.net. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Mastering QuickTest Professional (QTP)". Qtpautomation.com. 2009-03-16. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Using Global and Action Data Sheets in QTP ~ Guide to QuickTest Professional 10". Qtp10.com. 2009-07-05. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "QuickTest Professional User’s Guide.”
- "QTP 10 Tutorial". Scribd.com. 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- Software Quality Engineering IT (2010-08-04). "Tool info : HP Functional Testing software". Stickyminds.com. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Working with Keyword View in HP QTP - QTP Tutorial 6 ~ Guide to QuickTest Professional 10". Qtp10.com. 2009-07-04. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Key Differences Between VB and VB Script". www.htmlgoodies.com. 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "HP Functional Testing software System Requirements", 'HP', accessed May 2, 2011.
- "HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 Product Availability Matrix", 'HP', Oct 1 2010, accessed May 2, 2011.
- Hammant, Paul. "I think it is time for QTP to die" accessed May 2, 2011.
- "Functional Testing software System Requirements - HP - BTO Software". HP. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Download QTP 10.0 Evaluation ~ Guide to QuickTest Professional 10". Qtp10.com. 2009-04-17. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- HP QuickTest Professional software official web page
- "HP Quality Center 10.00 integration | HP Enterprise TV: Online Videos and Podcasts". H30423.www3.hp.com. Retrieved 2011-01-27.