HP Software Division
|Type||Division of HP|
|Headquarters||Cupertino, California, United States|
|Key people||George Kadifa (Executive Vice President, HP Software Division)|
HP Information Management Software
HP IT Management Software
IT Performance Management Software
|Website||HP Software Home Page|
From September 2005 through 2010, HP purchased a total of 15 software companies. According to Software Magazine, HP is the 3rd largest software company in the world in total software revenue, behind IBM and Microsoft as the first and second largest, respectively. In May 2010, HP announced that Bill Veghte would serve as the executive vice president of HP Software. Veghte formerly led Microsoft's Windows business. HP continued to acquire software and technology businesses in 2010.
In August 2010, HP announced it would acquire Fortify Software, a software security assurance company, specializing in static application security analysis. Also in August 2010, HP announced the acquisition of Denver-based Stratavia, a privately held database and application automation company for cloud computing. In mid-September 2010, HP announced it had signed a definitive agreement to acquire ArcSight (Nasdaq: ARST), a security and compliance software provider, for $43.50 per share, or approximately $1.5 billion. On October 22, 2010, HP announced it had completed its acquisition of ArcSight. The acquisitions of Fortify, Arcsight and TippingPoint are now being integrated into HP's IT security software portfolio.
In February 2011, HP announced it would acquire Vertica, a real-time analytics platform company and on March 22, 2011, HP completed its acquisition of Vertica. In Oct 2011, Autonomy Corporation, a provider of enterprise search and knowledge management solutions was acquired by HP and it quickly put into use its acquisitions, integrating Autonomy’s unstructured data analytics engine and Vertica’s fast-loading, real-time analytics database into a new Big Data Analytics platform – HP Next Generation Information Platform.
 Product portfolio
HP Software sells three categories of software: IT performance management, IT management software and information management software. HP Software also provides consulting, Software as a service, cloud computing solutions, education and support services.
 IT Performance Suite
The newest category of products offered by HP Software Division is the IT Performance Suite, announced on June 1, 2011. The HP IT Performance Suite captures and measures IT performance with a consolidated view into an organization’s technology environment, designed to provide a comprehensive view of IT performance across the enterprise. The HP IT Performance Suite uses the entire HP Software portfolio in a dashboard format that can be customized to measure specific key performance indicators. IT Performance Suite incorporates the use of industry standards including the Information Technology Infrastructure Library(ITIL).
 IT Management Products
 ITSM Products
The largest category of software sold by the HP Software Division is HP IT Management Software. IT management software is software that supports business objectives rather than IT goals. Other companies who develop and sell IT management software include Altiris, IBM, BMC Software, CA, Microsoft SCCM... (See in page ITSM)
HP aligns its IT management software products into product centers. The centers and the products in each are:
HP Application Lifecycle Management (HP ALM) is a software product used by IT departments for managing and automating application modernization activities. The latest version of the software, HP ALM 11.50, was released in Jun. 2012. HP ALM is a combination of a common platform, several applications and a dashboard designed to support software developers as they move applications from design through to delivery to operations. HP ALM 11 includes products from HP Quality Center and HP Performance Center. HP ALM 11 provides requirements management, test planning and functional testing, performance testing (when merged with HP Performance Center), developer management (through integration with widely used developer environments such as Collabnet TeamForge and Microsoft Visual Studio) and defect management. These software lifecycle activities are connected together from a workflow perspective with a common management console, layer of project tracking and planning and built on a common software foundation containing a consistent repository and open integration architecture with a supported SDK.
HP Business Service Automation is a set of technology software products used for unifying and standardizing the work of Information Technology (IT). HP Business Service Automation creates a common, enterprise-wide view of each business service; enables the automation of change and compliance across the devices that make up a business service; connects IT processes and coordinates teams via common workflows; and integrates with monitoring and ticketing tools to form an integrated business service management package.
HP Application Security Center consists of products that were formerly part of the SPI Dynamics software company portfolio. The Application Security Center catalog includes DevInspect, Assessment Platform, QAInspect and WebInspect.
HP Business Availability Center includes several application management products: HP Business Service Management Software, Business Process Monitor, Business Process Insight, Discovery and Dependency Mapping, End User Management Problem Isolation, HP SiteScope, System Availability Management, TransactionVision and HP Universal CMDB software, a configuration management database for ITIL-based initiatives.
HP Data Center Automation Center consists of Business Service Automation Essentials, Network Automation, Server Automation, Service Automation Reporter, Service Automation Visualizer, Storage Essentials, Operations Orchestration and Release Control software.
HP Network Management Center consists of the following products previously branded as HP OpenView: Network Node Manager, Performance Insight, TeMIP, Report Pack for Cisco Wireless LAN Pack, and Report Pack for Radius Call Detail v 1.3.
HP Operations Center catalog includes a number of products from its 2007 acquisition of Opsware: Discovery and Dependency Mapping, GlancePlus Pak,Operations Dashboard, Operations Manager Dependency Mapping Automation, Operations Manager i 8.0, Operations Smart Plug-ins, Performance Manager, Reporter, HP SiteScope, and HP Universal CMDB.
HP Performance Center consists of four products gained from HP's 2006 purchase of Mercury Interactive: Center Management for Performance Center, HP Diagnostics, HP LoadRunner Monitors, and HP LoadRunner.
HP Project and Portfolio Management Center(PPM) consists of nine products, many from HP's Mercury acquisition. The HP PPM catalog includes HP Deployment Management module, Discovery and Dependency Mapping software, PPM Demand Management module, PPM Financial Management module, PPM Portfolio Management module, PPM Program Management module, PPM Project Management module, PPM Resource Management module, and PPM Time Management module.
HP Quality Center includes HP Business Process Testing, Center Management for Quality Center software, Change Impact Testing for SAP Applications, HP Functional Testing software, HP QuickTest Professional, Requirements Management module, Service Test Management module for SOA, Service Test and HP WinRunner software.
HP SOA Service-oriented architecture Center includes SOA Governance Interoperability Framework, SOA Policy Enforcer, SOA Registry Foundation, SOA Systinet and HP Universal CMDB software. The Systinet product is a result of HP's purchase of Mercury Interactive.
HP Service Management Center includes Asset Manager, HP Connect-It software, DecisionCenter, HP Client Automation Software and Service Manager software. In October 2012 HP announced that they would provide competitive offerings in the same tool space in a SaaS deployment model branded under the Service Anywhere name.
HP Business Service Management 9.0, announced by HP Software Division in June 2010, is composed of HP Business Availability Center 9.0 (BAC), HP Operations Manager i 9.0 (OMi) and HP Network Management Center (NMC) 9.0 software products. HP BSM 9.0 works as a common single platform for managing complex applications, including those supported by both private and public cloud computing, outsourced IT, software-as-a-service (Saas) and traditional IT service delivery.
HP Software cloud computing portfolio consists of a number of software, services and third-party integrations designed to help IT departments adopt and manage cloud computing implementations, both public and private, as well managing traditional IT delivery. HP Software Division markets its cloud initiatives using a lifecycle approach. For planning and design of a cloud strategy and architecture, HP offers the HP Cloud Discovery Workshop, HP Cloud Roadmap Service, HP Cloud Design Service and HP Service Management Consulting Services. HP sells two software packages for automating and managing cloud infrastructure and applications, HP Cloud Service Automation Software and HP Business Technology Optimization Services for Cloud Infrastructure. Two services, HP Cloud Assure and HP Elastic Test, are designed for securing cloud-based services. HP LoadRunner in the Cloud is another cloud offering from HP Software Division. In May 2010, HP announced that an on-demand version of the application performance testing software would be available via Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud.
 Information Management Products
Information Management software is used to organize, protect, retrieve, acquire, manage and maintain information. The amount of data that companies have to deal with has grown tremendously over the past decade, making the management of this information more difficult. The University of California at Berkeley claims the amount of information produced globally increases by 30 percent annually. According to Julian Stuhler, director of Triton Consulting, data enterprise servers will “grow at a staggering 60 percent per year, resulting in 14 exabytes of corporate data by 2011.” Because of this Information explosion IT companies have created technology to help business manage this ever-expanding data.
HP Information Management Software consists of a portfolio of two main categories, business continuity and availability, and governance and E-discovery.
Business Continuity has one main offering, the HP Data Protector software that automates high-performance backup and recovery from disk or tape to enable 24x7 business continuity. This software can be used any size business as it can grow from a single server environment to the largest distributed enterprise infrastructure.
Governance and E-Discovery software helps companies meet the requirements of legal Electronic discovery and compliance regulations. The software meets the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM) for capturing, classifying, preserving, finding, analyzing and recovering information. Products include HP TRIM Records Management System for electronic document management and Records Management, HP Integrated Archive Platform for compliance archiving, and HP Clearwell E-Discovery Platform for legal analytics.
 User Groups
While it is not an actual "user group", the ITRC is an online forum about HP Software products. A user group, the HP Software Solutions Community, officially launched publicly in April 2010 and includes all former software-related communities and id designed for IT practitioners. In June 2011, the ITRC was folded into the HP Software Solutions Community. In June 2011, HP Software announced a new Discover Performance community and online resource center designed to serve IT executives and CIOs.
 HP DISCOVER customer event
In 2011, HP Enterprise Business, along with participating independent user groups, combined its annual HP Software Universe, HP Technology Forum and HP Technology@Work into a single event, HP Discover.
There are two HP Discover events annually, one for the Americas and one for Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
HP Discover 2011 Americas took place June 6–10, in Las Vegas at the Venetian/Palazzo.; The HP Discover 2011 event in EMEA was held in Vienna, Austria, at the Reed Exhibitions, Messe Wien Congress Center, on November 29 through December 1, 2011.
HP Discover 2012 took place June 4–7 in Las Vegas and December 4–6 in Frankfurt, Germany.
HP Discover 2013 is scheduled for June 10–12 in Las Vegas, Nevada and December 10–12 in Barcelona, Spain.
 Software Company Acquisition Timeline
- Oct. 2011: Autonomy Corporation, provider of enterprise search and knowledge management applications solutions
- Mar. 2011: Vertica Systems, analytic database management software
- Oct. 2010: ArcSight, security management software
- Aug. 2010: Stratavia, database and application automation software
- Aug. 2010: Fortify Software, software security assurance solutions
- May 2008: Tower Software, document and records management software
- Jan. 2008: Exstream Software, variable data publishing software
- July 2007: Opsware, data center automation software
- June 2007: SPI Dynamics, Web applications security software
- Feb. 2007: Bristol Technology, Inc., business transaction monitoring technologies
- Feb. 2007: PolyServe, Inc., storage software for application and file serving utilities
- Feb. 2006: OuterBay, archiving software for enterprise applications and databases
- Nov. 2006: Mercury Interactive Corporation, application management, application delivery and IT governance software
- Dec. 2006: Bitfone, mobile device software
- Dec. 2006: Knightsbridge Solutions LLC, a datawarehousing consulting and integration services company
- Nov. 2005: Trustgenix, Inc., federated identity management solutions
- Sept. 2005: Peregrine Systems Inc., asset and service management software
- Sept. 2005: AppIQ, open storage area network management and storage resource management technologies
- Software Magazine, 29th Annual Software 500 Ranking. September 27, 2011 
- Fried, Ina (May 5, 2010). "CNET News: "Former Microsoft exec Veghte headed to HP." Ina Fried May 5, 2010". News.cnet.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Menn, Joseph (September 13, 2010). "Financial Times:"HP expands in security with ArcSight deal." Joseph Menn. Sept. 13, 2010". Financial Times. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Hickey, Andrew R (September 13, 2010). ""HP Acquisition Train Keeps Rolling With ArcSight." Hickey. Sept. 13, 2010". CRN. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Seattle Times: "HP completes deal for Fortify Software." Sept. 22, 2010.[dead link]
- name=Yahoo.com>HP to Acquire Fortify Software, Helping Clients Proactively Reduce Business Risks of Insecure Software (English) , Yahoo.com, August 17, 2010
- "Mercury News. HP buys Denver software maker Stratavia to simplify 'cloud computing.' August 2010". Mercurynews.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- By Business Wire. ""HP To Acquire ArcSight." Sept. 13, 2010". Thestreet.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "San Jose Mercury News: "Hewlett-Packard completes $1.5B ArcSight acquisition." Russell. October 2010". Mercurynews.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "RSA: "HP calls for new approach to risk analysis." Nichols. Feb. 2011". V3.co.uk. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- HP News Release: “HP to Acquire Vertica: Customers Can Analyze Massive Amounts of Big Data at Speed and Scale” Feb. 2011
- ""Hewlett-Packard To Get Vertica." Zacks Investment Research. February 15, 2011". DailyMarkets.com. February 15, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- HP News Release: “HP Completes Acquisition of Vertica Systems, Inc.” March 22, 2011.
- ComputerWorld.com: “Update: HP to buy Vertica for analytics.” Kanaracus. Feb. 2011.
- "Hewlett-Packard completes Autonomy buyout". BBC News. October 18, 2011. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "HP Unveils Autonomy/Vertica-based Big Data Analytics Platform". servicesangle.com. Retrieved Feb 9, 2012.
- "HP pairs Autonomy and Vertica software". computerworld.com. Retrieved Feb 9, 2012.
- "Network World. "HP redefines IT performance management. New software suite and other tools aimed at helping IT show its value to the business." Beth Schultz. June 1, 2011". Networkworld.com. June 1, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- dmakrekdw2601-24379109796087569506817873217550. ""Discover Case Study: Genworth Financial looks to HP Executive Scorecard to improve applications management, reliability, costs." Dana Gardner . June 21, 2011". ZDNet. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "IDG News: HP Launches IT Executive Scorecard Software. Joab Jackson. June 1, 2011". Pcworld.com. May 31, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Greenbaum, Josh (June 14, 2011). "Enterprise Irregulars. "A Look at HP’s Discover Conference: The Future Gets Closer." Josh Greenbaum. June 14, 2011". Enterpriseirregulars.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "Database Trends and Applications. "HP Unveils Performance Suite to Improve IT Performance." June 7, 2011". Dbta.com. June 7, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- July 20, 2010 , Written by Michel van Kooten (July 20, 2010). ""Top 10 IT companies 2010." Van wooten. July 2010". Softwaretop100.org. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "HP 7th largest software company in world. July 2010". Softwaretop100.org. December 15, 2010. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "HP bets on software as a strategy. Retrieved 2009-08-29". Blogs.zdnet.com. April 12, 2009. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Babcock, Charles (December 2, 2010). ""HP Intros Application Lifecycle Management 11." Babcock. Dec. 2010". InformationWeek. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "IDG NewsService/CIO.com: "HP Fuses Dev Management and Testing Tools." Jackson. Nov. 2010". Cio.com. November 30, 2010. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- TechWeb: “HP Business Service Automation Briefing Center.” Retrieved 03/10/2011.
- "HP to Acquire SPI Dynamics, Strengthening Capabilities in Application Quality Management". Hp.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Eddy, Nathan. "HP Launches Service Anywhere SaaS Platform". eWeek. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- ""HP Launches Management Tool for Complex Business IT" Cullimore. June 2010". IT Pro Portal. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "Security Week News: "HP Delivers New Hybrid Cloud Solutions." Jan 26, 2011". Securityweek.com. January 26, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- ""HP expands its cloud offerings." Rasmussen. Feb. 2011". PtakNoel.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- ""HP adds new consulting services to smooth the enterprise path to cloud adoption." Gardner. June 2009". ZDNet.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- ""HP Cloud Announcement: HP Hybrid Delivery." Vastbinder. Jan. 2011". Infoq.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Sullivan, Tom (March 31, 2009). ""HP unwraps Cloud Assure." Sullivan. March 2009". InfoWorld.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- CTO Edge: “HP Puts LoadRunner on Amazon Cloud.” May 2010.
- "Information Explosion. Retrieved 2009-08-29". Privacy.cs.cmu.edu. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Information Overload. Retrieved 2009-08-29.[dead link]
- Julian Stuhler (July 9, 2009). "Managing the Data Explosion. Retrieved 2009-08-29". Information-management.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "EDRM". EDRM. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Kevin_Paul (June 28, 2011). "IT Resource Center Forums". Forums1.itrc.hp.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Community has launched! (April 13, 2010). "HP Software Solutions Community has launched". Communities.hp.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "HP Discover community site". H30406.www3.hp.com. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- Business Wire: “HP Unveils Premiere Client Event – HP Discover Americas, Nov. 16, 2010
- "HP Discover 2012: Making technology work for you.". h30614.www3.hp.com. Retrieved December 11, 2012.