HTC Windows Phone 8X
|Compatible networks||GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
|First released||Q4 2012|
|Related||Windows Phone 8S by HTC|
|Dimensions||132.35 × 66.2 × 10.12 mm (5.211 × 2.606 × 0.398 in)|
|Operating system||Windows Phone 8|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960|
|CPU||1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Krait|
|GPU||Qualcomm Adreno 225|
|Memory||16 GB internal flash
1 GB RAM
|Battery||1800 mAh Li-ion battery|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor|
|Display||4.3" Super LCD 2
1280 x 720 px at 342 ppi
|Connectivity||Bluetooth 3.1+EDR, NFC|
- United States
The HTC 8x is currently available on T-Mobile US, Verizon, and AT&T. Only the Verizon and AT&T models support LTE. The T-Mobile/International Version doesn't as it uses the Qualcomm MSM8260A chipset.  While the 8X has NFC capabilities, wireless charging is only supported by devices on the Verizon Wireless network. Additionally, "Data Sense," a new feature of Windows Phone 8 that helps users keep track of their cellular data usage is only available on Windows Phones connected with the Verizon Wireless network. However, Data Sense may soon become available with other carriers.
- United Kingdom
Chuong Nguyen from Gotta Be Mobile in his review wrote: "From a hardware perspective, HTC has done a great job creating a minimalist and modern design. It’s the software still that may be the big barrier for Windows Phone adoption as the platform still trails behind popular rivals iOS and Android in some key areas, including search, voice commands, and voice-guided navigation." and "And while the software is more refined, it just seems that Microsoft is just catching up to rivals, but with Windows Phone 8, it’s still clear that the platform still hasn’t fully caught up quite just yet."
Phil Lavelle from TechRadar wrote: "The HTC 8X promised so much on paper and the excitement leading to it arriving was building up for us. Yet when it arrived, we found it to be a mediocre handset and this is the best of the two WP8 phones HTC is launching. Which means it's not even the best value."
Myriam Joire from Engadget wrote: "Yes, the 8X is a fantastic ambassador to Windows Phone 8, but after using it for several days, we're longing for a similar phone from HTC running Android -- at least until a stronger app ecosystem develops for Microsoft's latest mobile OS."
The HTC 8X won a Red Dot Product Design award in 2013. Prof. Dr. Peter Zec, initiator and CEO of the red dot design award, said: “HTC’s Windows Phone 8X and 8S not only demonstrated an extraordinary design quality, but also showed that design is an integral part of innovative product solutions. We are pleased to award the ‘red dot’ to HTC.”
Some reviewers noted some problems. The phone reboots randomly, which was supposed to be solved after the "Portico" update, but after the update it sometimes continues rebooting randomly. The color coating also peels off revealing a smooth undercoat.
Windows Phone 8.1
The Windows Phone 8X by HTC will be receiving the Windows Phone 8.1 update. It will also continue to be supported, and receive future updates such as the GDR1. This was detailed in a post on the official HTC support forums on August 6, 2014.
However, the lower-end counterpart of the 8X, the Windows Phone 8S, will not be receiving further updates after the Windows Phone 8.1 update.
- Volpe, Joseph (2012-09-19). "Windows Phone 8X by HTC hands-on: Microsoft's modern mobile OS personified in polycarbonate". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Windows Phone 8X by HTC". T-Mobile USA. 2012-12-13. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- "HTC Windows Phone 8X Verizon". Windows8Phones. 2012-09-23. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "Exactly 4 devices meet your requirements. The PDAmaster recommends the following device(s):". PDAdb.net. 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-06-21.
- "HTC Windows Phone 8X for Verizon: what's different?". Engadget. 2012-12-08. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- "Windows Phone 8: Data Sense". WinSuperSite. 2012-12-10. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
- "Windows Phone 8 comes to Vodafone on February 6th: Come get some!". Vodaphone Blog. 2013-02-04. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- 10/31/2012 (2012-10-31). "Windows Phone 8X by HTC Review (HTC 8X)". Gottabemobile.com. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- Phil Lavelle. "HTC Windows Phone 8X review | Phone Reviews". TechRadar. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- Joire, Myriam (2012-10-29). "HTC 8X review: Windows Phone 8's compact flagship". Engadget.com. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "HTC honored with top design award - HTC Press Release". Htc.com. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Is your HTC 8X still rebooting after Portico update?". WinSource. 2013-03-22. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "How the HTC Windows Phone 8X could be improved". Neowin. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "HTC 8X/8S upgrade WP8.1 GDR1 preview announcement". August 6, 2014. Retrieved August 7, 2014.