|Haddon W. Robinson|
|Occupation||Pastor, Professor, Theologian|
|Notable work(s)||Biblical Preaching|
|Tradition or movement||Evangelical|
|Main interests||Homiletics, Expository preaching|
|Notable ideas||"The Big Idea" Biblical Preaching|
Haddon W. Robinson is the Harold John Ockenga Distinguished Professor of Preaching, senior director of the Doctor of Ministry program, and former interim President at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
A native of New York City, he received a Th.M. from Dallas Theological Seminary, a M.A. from Southern Methodist University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois. Dr. Robinson also served as president of Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary (now known as Denver Seminary) for 12 years (1979–1991), and taught homiletics on the faculty of Dallas Theological Seminary for 19 years. He has authored seven books, including Biblical Preaching. "Biblical Preaching" is a primary source for the study of expository preaching. He has written and edited for several magazines.
Robinson has, in recent years, been widely heard as the 'lead teacher' on the 15-minute Discover The Word radio program (formerly Radio Bible Class) produced by Grand Rapids, Michigan-based RBC Ministries.
Dr. Robinson and his wife, Bonnie, reside in South Hamilton, Massachusetts, and Willow Street, Pennsylvania. One of his major contributions to homiletics is the "Big Idea of Biblical Preaching" (the title of a book which is in his honor), whereby sermons should have one major idea (has one subject and one complement), even if the big idea breaks down into several subpoints. Robinson also argues that a sermon should be primarily expository, since that places the authority in the biblical text, not in the preachers themselves. He was instrumental in changing the name of Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary to Denver Seminary.
- It’s All How You Tell It: Preaching First-Person Expository Messages (with Torrey W. Robinson, Baker Books, 2003)
- Trusting the Shepherd: Insights from Psalm 23 (Discovery House Publishers, 2002)
- Making a Difference in Preaching (Baker Books, 2002)
- Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages (Baker Academics, 2001)
- Decision Making and the Will of God (Discovery House, 1998)
- Decision-Making by the Book: How to Choose Wisely in an Age of Options (Discovery House Publishers, 1998)
- Grief: Comfort for Those Who Grieve and Those Who Want to Help (Discovery House, 1996)
- Voice in the Wilderness: Clear Preaching in a Complicated World (with Stephen W. Brown, William H. Willimon, Multnomah, 1993)
- What Jesus Said About Successful Living: Principles From the Sermon on the Mount for Today (Barbour Publishing, 1991)
- Mastering Contemporary Preaching (with Bill Hybels, Stuart Briscoe, Multnomah, 1990)
- Solid Rock Construction Company: How to Build Your Life on the Right Foundation (Discovery House Publishers, 1989)
- Biblical Sermons: How Twelve Preachers Apply the Principles of Biblical Preaching, (Editor, Baker Book House, 1989)
- Christian Salt and Light Company: A Contemporary Study of the Sermon on the Mount (Discovery House, 1988)
- The Good Shepherd: Reflections on Psalm 23 (Moody Press, 1987)
- Haddon W. Robinson Named Interim President of Gordon-Conwell, archived from the original on 24 May 2007, retrieved 16 May 2007
- Dr. Haddon Robinson, retrieved 3 December 2012
- Haddon robinson, retrieved 3 December 2012
- Duduit, Michael, "Expository Preaching in a Narrative World: An Interview with Haddon Robinson", Preaching.Com, retrieved 3 December 2012