Halestorm performing in 2009. Left to right: Josh Smith, Arejay Hale (back), Lzzy Hale, Joe Hottinger
|Origin||Red Lion, York County, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Genres||Hard rock, alternative metal, post-grunge|
|Associated acts||Disturbed, Shinedown, Alter Bridge, Adelitas Way, Sixx:A.M., Theory of a Deadman, In This Moment|
Halestorm is an American hard rock band from Red Lion, Pennsylvania. The group's self-titled debut album was released on April 28, 2009, through Atlantic Records. Their second album The Strange Case Of... was released on April 10, 2012. The song "Love Bites (So Do I)" from that album won their first Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance on February 10, 2013.
Formation and Self-titled album (1998–2008)
Siblings Arejay and Elizabeth "Lzzy" Hale have been actively writing and performing original music since 1997 when they were 10 and 13 years old, respectively. Both brother and sister started learning piano at the age of 5; Lzzy later progressed to a keytar and Arejay to the drums. Lzzy took guitar lessons at 16. The teen siblings released an EP titled Don't Mess With the Time Man in 1999. In 2003, Joe Hottinger joined the band. In Halestorm's earliest incarnation, Lzzy and Arejay's father Roger Hale played bass before Josh Smith joined the group in 2004.
The group signed a recording contract with Atlantic Records on June 28, 2005, and released a live EP titled One and Done. The EP, now out of print, featured an early live version of "It's Not You." Their self-titled debut album was released on April 28, 2009. The song "I Get Off" served as the album's lead single and has gained heavy radio play. Both the song and video for their second single, "It's Not You", were released in late November 2009. Singles and videos for "Love/Hate Heartbreak" and "Familiar Taste of Poison" were released in 2010.
Halestorm is well known for their near non-stop touring, often performing as many as 250 shows a year. Since 2006 they have toured with many hard rock and heavy metal acts including Chevelle, Seether, Staind, Papa Roach, Trapt, Three Days Grace, Theory of a Deadman, Buckcherry, Disturbed, Shinedown, Avenged Sevenfold, Stone Sour, Hellyeah, Heaven & Hell, Evanescence and Bullet For My Valentine. Halestorm appeared on the first annual Rockstar Energy Drink Uproar Festival,, and in October 2010 the band traveled to Japan to participate in the Loud Park Festival. Halestorm also appeared on the 2010 Taste of Chaos tour.
The Strange Case Of... (2012-2013)
On November 16, 2010 Halestorm released a live CD/DVD entitled Live in Philly 2010, which was recorded at The TLA in Philadelphia in early 2010. On March 22, 2011, Halestorm released an EP called ReAnimate containing covers of songs of different genres, including "Out Ta Get Me" by Guns N' Roses, "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga, and the first single "Slave to the Grind" by Skid Row.
On January 24, 2012, Halestorm released the EP Hello, It's Mz. Hyde, a sneak preview of four songs from their upcoming studio album. Their second full length album, The Strange Case Of... was released on April 10, 2012, in the US, April 9 in the UK, and April 17 in Italy. In May 2012, Halestorm made history by becoming the first female-fronted band to top the active rock airplay chart with their song "Love Bites...(So Do I)." In the same month, Gibson Guitars created a signature series guitar for Lzzy Hale. On 29 October 2012 they were announced as the support for Bullet For My Valentine on their UK tour in March 2013.
On December 5, 2012 during a show at the Majestic Theater in Madison, Wisconsin, before Lzzy could start her piano ballad "Break In" guitarist Joe Hottinger ran up to her from off stage and told her that the song "Love Bites...(So Do I)" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Category. Drummer Arejay Hale asked on his mic what happened and after Lzzy replied to the audience that they had just been nominated for a Grammy, the crowd erupted in celebration. The entire event was recorded by a fan and posted on YouTube. On February 10, 2013 Halestorm won the award, becoming the first female-fronted band to both be nominated and win in that category. In April 2013, Halestorm reached the top of the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart for the first time with their single "Freak Like Me". On August 6, 2013, the band premiered their video for Here's To Us
Third studio album (2014-Present)
On March 28, 2014 Halestorm performed a brand new song called The Heartbreaker at the Cannery Ballroom in Nashville, TN. In April, the band released a video on Youtube called A Day In The Life Of Halestorm 2014 (Backstage, Interview & New Song Mayhem). The band have said they hope to release their third studio album at the end of 2014.
Halestorm was the featured artist on the cover of Origivation magazine in October 2006 and appeared on the cover of Pennsylvania Musician magazine three times (August 1999, March 2000, and February 2003). Lzzy Hale appeared on the cover of Revolver magazine along with Grace Perry from Landmine Marathon in their December 2009 edition of the "Hottest Chicks in Metal." Lzzy Hale has also been noted for her use of Gibson Guitars. Arejay Hale was featured in the June 2010 issue of Modern Drummer magazine.
Lzzy Hale lent her vocals to a reworked version of the Shinedown song "Shed Some Light" from the 2005 album Us and Them. Lzzy and Shinedown's Brent Smith performed the song live on one occasion. Lzzy also appeared in the Shinedown song "Breaking Inside." On September 5, 2007, Halestorm appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno as part of the "Jaywalking" segment. On July 21, 2010 they appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, performing "Familiar Taste of Poison".
Lzzy Hale appeared on Black Stone Cherry's 2011 album Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea as a backup vocalist on two songs. On February 21, 2012 Halestorm's song "Here's to Us" was performed on the "On My Way" episode of Glee during the regionals competition portion of the show. The song was performed by Lea Michele, who plays Rachel Berry, and the other female members of New Directions. Lzzy Hale appeared on Adrenaline Mob's 2012 album Omertá singing on their cover of Duran Duran's "Come Undone." Lzzy also appears on HardDrive XL with Lou Brutus, in a segment called "Ask Lzzy" for which listeners are able to send her questions.
In mid 2012, Halestorm made a special requested appearance at the opening of the Fairfield, Ohio bar, America Live. This was a request by bar consultant, Jon Taffer and featured on the episode "Owner Ousted" of SpikeTV's Bar Rescue.
On January 29, 2013 Halestorm performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live!. On February 22 Lzzy Hale sang the Guns n' Roses song "Out Ta Get Me" at Bandit Rock Awards in Stockholm Sweden, where Slash and his band were headlining. Lzzy's vocals are featured in a cover of "Close My Eyes Forever" on the album of David Draiman's new project, Device.
- Current Members
- Lzzy Hale - lead vocals, rhythm and lead guitar, keyboard (1998–present)
- Arejay Hale - drums, percussion, backing vocals (1998–present)
- Joe Hottinger - lead guitar, backing vocals (2003–present)
- Josh Smith - bass guitar, backing vocals (2004–present)
- Past Members
- Leo Nessinger - lead guitar (2000–2003)
- Studio albums
- Extended Plays
- (Don't Mess with the) Time Man (1999)
- Breaking the Silence (2001)
- One and Done (2006)
- ReAniMate: The CoVeRs eP (2011)
- Hello, It's Mz. Hyde (2012)
- ReAniMate 2.0: The CoVeRs eP (2013)
- Live albums
- Live in Philly 2010 (2010)
- In the Live Room (2012)
- "Halestorm Biography". HalestormRocks.com. 2009-07-29. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- "Nu Rock Traxx volume 135 - ERG Music's DJ CD Compilations". Ergmusic.com. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- Darling, Gary (May 17, 2010). "20 questions with Joe Hottinger of Halestorm". Taft Midway Driller. Retrieved July 16, 2010.
- "Halestorm Hits Everywhere This Week". Marketwire. April 2009. Retrieved July 16, 2010.
- "Rockstar Energy Drink UPROAR Festival - Bands". Rockstaruproar.com. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "LOUD PARK 10:: OFFICIAL SITE - NEWS" (in Japanese). July 9, 2010. Retrieved July 16, 2010.
- "IT'S COMING! Halestorm to release "Live in Philly 2010" CD/DVD in 2011". HalestormRocks.com. 2010-10-19. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Halestorm Announce New Album, ‘The Strange Case Of…’ and Premiere Music". Revolver Magazine. 2012-01-24. Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- Loudwire, May 11, 2012
- In 2013 they were announced as the opening act for the Daughtry and 3 Doors Down tour. http://www.billboard.com/artist/276346/halestorm/chart?f=376
- "Lzzy Hale Plays up a Storm with Gibson". Gibson.com. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- "Halestorm on The Tonight Show". The Patriot News. 2007-09-04. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Halestorm Had A Thunderous Performance". nbc.com. 2010-07-22. Retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "TONIGHT: Halestorm on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon". 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2012-03-07.