|Opened||November 4, 1939|
|Construction cost||CHF 147 million
EUR € 119 million
|Architect||Architekturbüro Karl Egender – Renovation by Nussli Group|
|ZSC Lions (1950–present)|
Hallenstadion is a multi-purpose facility located in the quarter of Oerlikon in northern Zürich. It is home to the ZSC Lions of the National League A and has a capacity of up to 13,000 spectators. Designed by Bruno Giacometti, it opened on November 4, 1939, and was renovated in 2004/2005.
Bicycle race events were held in the Hallenstadion in its first year of service, 1939, and most years since then. The classic Zürcher 6-Tagerennen (Zürich 6-day race) began there in 1954, running on its characteristic oval of wooden boards, until the arena closed temporarily for renovation in 2004. The event is run there again now, in a more modern atmosphere.
The Hallenstadion hosted the Ice Hockey World Championships in 1998, along with Basel, and is the home stadium of the Swiss ice hockey team ZSC Lions. In February 2006, it hosted semi-finals and the final of the 2006 European Men's Handball Championship.
It had been the home of the annual Zürich Open, a WTA Tour tennis tournament that was discontinued after 25 years in 2008. On the 21 December 2010, tennis will return to the arena with an exhibition featuring Roger Federer against Rafael Nadal, for the benefit of Federer's foundation.
Hallenstadion has hosted many concerts by artists of many different genres.
- Les Sauterelles in 1965 and 1992
- Cher performed on May 29, 2004 during her marathon Living Proof: The Farewell Tour.
- Black Sabbath will perform on June 20, 2014 as part of the 13 Tour promoting the album 13 (Black Sabbath album).
- Britney Spears had performed at the arena 3 times during her worldwide tours. The First time was during Oops!... I Did It Again Tour in 2000, the second on 2004 during The Onyx Hotel Tour and the last one during Femme Fatale Tour in 2011.
- Celine Dion performed a show at the arena on June 24, 2008 as part of her Taking Chances World Tour.
- Muse performed at the arena on November 18, 2009 during their The Resistance Tour.
- Shakira performed at the arena on November 17, 2010 during The Sun Comes Out World Tour.
- Lady Gaga performed to a sold out crowd in the arena on 26 and 27 September 2012 as part of her Born This Way Ball Tour. She performed here again on November 6, 2014 for the tour ArtRave: The Artpop Ball which was sold out.
- Laura Pausini performed here as part of her tour called Inedito World Tour in 2012 promoting her new album Inedito.
- Jennifer Lopez performed here on October 10, 2012 as part of her Dance Again World Tour.
- Nicki Minaj was set to perform on October 17, 2012 on her Pink Friday: Reloaded Tour to promote her new album Pink Friday:Roman Reloaded, but the show was cancelled .
- Beyoncé performed to a sold out crowd for The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour on May 17, 2013.
- Rihanna had performed at the arena 5 times during her worldwide tours. The First time was during Last Girl on Earth Tour on 19 April 2010, second time during Loud Tour in November 7 and December 10, 2011. Also concert will take place on the 29th and 30 June 2013 in the Diamonds World Tour
- One Direction performed a concert with Take Me Home Tour on May 16, 2013
- Justin Bieber performed a concert with Believe Tour on March 22, 2013
- Macklemore performed a concert on September 20, 2013
- U2 performed at the stadium four times: the first one was on February 8, 1985 during their Unforgettable Fire Tour, in front of a crowd of 10,000 people. The second one was on May 27, 1992 during their Zoo TV Tour, in front of a crowd of a crowd of 10,000 people. The third and the fourth were on July 23 and 24, 2001 during their Elevation Tour, in front of a total sold out crowd of 26,000 people.
- The Eagles performs on June 30, 2014 on their History of the Eagles Tour.
- Scorpions performed on November 10, 2010 and September 19, 2014 on their Get Your Sting and Blackout World Tour.
- Depeche Mode performed at the stadium eleven times: the first one was on May 4, 1986 during their Black Celebration Tour. The second one was on November 17, 1987 during their Music for the Masses Tour. The third one was on October 12, 1990 during their World Violation Tour. The fourth one was on May 21, 1993 during their Devotional Tour. The fifth one was on September 25, 1998 during their Singles Tour. The sixth one was on October 4, 2001 during their Exciter Tour. The seventh one was on March 28, 2006 during their Touring the Angel. The eighth and the ninth were on December 6 and 7, 2009 during their Tour of the Universe. The tenth and the eleventh were on February 14 and 15, 2014 during their Delta Machine Tour, in front of a total sold out crowd of 24,436 people.
- Justin Timberlake performs on April 14 & April 16, 2014 on his The 20/20 Experience World Tour.
- André Rieu performs on May 23, 2014 and played 12 October 2012, 24 February 2012 and 11 February 2011 on prior tours.
- Robbie Williams performs on June 2 & 3, 2014 on his The Swing Tour Live.
- Nine Inch Nails performs on June 4, 2014 on their Twenty Thirteen Tour.
- Miley Cyrus performs on June 7, 2014 on her Bangerz Tour.
- Kylie Minogue performs on June 6, 2002 on his KylieFever2002. She performs on May 25, 2008 on his KylieX2008. She performs also on March 9, 2011 with her Aphrodite World Tour and performs again on November 17, 2014 with her Kiss Me Once Tour.
- Katy Perry performed on February 25, 2011 for her California Dreams Tour and she will perform on March 1, 2015 on her Prismatic World Tour.
- Toto performed in 2013 for their 35th Years Anniversary Tour.
- Madonna will perform a show on 12 December 2015 with her Rebel Heart Tour
Among many others, in August 2005 the 14th Dalai Lama gave several teachings and initiations as well as a public talk on "The Art of Happiness" open for everyone within 10 days.
- "Geschichte" [History]. Sechstagerennen Hallenstadion Zürich (in German). Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- "Zürich Hallenstadion". euro06.com. Retrieved 26 January 2006.[dead link]
- "2006 Men's European Handball Championship". Oceania Handball Federation. February 5, 2006. Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- Twitter / NICKIBANGMINAJ: @NICKIMINAJ Yessss UK Fall. Twitter.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-07.
- Live | RihannaRihanna. Rihannanow.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-07.
- "Congress: working to protect the game". FIFA. 5 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hallenstadion.|
- Official web site in German
|European Men's Handball Championship