Hari Shankar Tiwari
Hari Shankar Tiwari is an India politician from Gorakhpur in Eastern Uttar Pradeshpreviously with the Indian National Congress. In the 1982 U.P. State Elections, he was one of the first Indian politicians to win an election while in prison.
Tiwari was the first public figure in Indian political history to be elected to the legislature from prison. Elected from chillupar, he remained a member of the legislative assembly for 26 years continuously. He has been a cabinet minister at the State Assembly in several governments, including the Kalyan Singh (Bharatiya Janata Party) government (1997–1999). He was also a minister in the Mulayam Singh Yadav (Samajwadi Party) government (2003–2007). He was cabinet minister from Chillupar, Barhalganj.He is regarded leader of the Brahmin community of Uttar Pradesh.
Hari Shanker Tiwari has several relatives in senior positions in the Bahujan Samaj Party. His son Bhishma Shanker Tewari, is currently a Member of Parliament, having won the Sant Kabir Nagar seat west of Gorakhpur by a margin of 30,000 votes, beating Sharad Tripathi of the BJP.(3.6%).
Nephew Ganesh Shankar Pandey was a state legislator from Maharajganj. In 2010 he won the MLC election for the fourth consecutive time, and is currently the speaker of the legislative council. He was succeeded by Rajesh Tripathi.
- From Democracy to Kleptocracy. "Shankar Jha". Manushi. Retrieved 2007-05-12.Extracts from the Affidavit Submitted to the Venkatswamy Commission
- Geeta Pandey (2007-05-07). "Politics and public service". BBC News. Retrieved 2007-05-12.
- "Robin Hoods the people’s choice". The Hindustan Times. April 7, 2009. Retrieved July 8, 2011.
- Purnima S. Tripathi (October 11–24, 2003). "L'affaire Amarmani". Frontline (magazine), Volume 20, Issue 21. Retrieved 2007-05-12.
- 50 करोड़ डॉलर जुटाएगी इंडियन ऑयल
- Detailed Profile - Shri Bhishma Shanker Alias Kushal Tiwari - Members of Parliament (Lok Sabha) - Who's Who - Government: National Portal of India
- Empowering India - Making democracy meaningful, Know our Representative & Candidate
- SP wrests Ballia seat in bypolls
- Madhumita case: CBI charge sheet
- "3 from UP among top 10 criminal MPs in 15th Lok Sabha". Daily Excelsior. 2009-05-21.
- "Trinidad, Tobago PM to visit native village in Buxar". Times of India. 2011-12-31.