|Borough of Hellertown|
Location of Hellertown in Northampton County
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
The population of Hellertown was 5,606 at the 2000 census.
Hellertown is located at (40.584099, -75.338139).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), all of it land.
Government and politics
- State Representative Robert L. Freeman, Democrat, 136th district
- State Senator Lisa Boscola, Democrat, 18th district
- US Representative Charlie Dent, Republican, 15th district
Hellertown Borough elects seven council members at large.
- Thomas Rieger, President
- John Bate, Vice President
- James Hill
- Michael McKenna
- Joe Pampanin
- Herb Payung
- Richard Staffieri
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,606 people, 2,448 households, and 1,571 families residing in the borough. The population density was 4,180.8 people per square mile (1,615.3/km²). There were 2,570 housing units at an average density of 1,916.6 per square mile (740.5/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.20% White, 0.30% African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.68% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.48% of the population.
There were 2,448 households out of which 24.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.2% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.8% were non-families. 30.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the borough the population was spread out with 20.2% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 29.0% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 23.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 89.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.2 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $39,651, and the median income for a family was $49,604. Males had a median income of $37,935 versus $26,322 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $20,119. About 4.1% of families and 4.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.5% of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Home of Allen Woodring, 1920 Olympic gold medalist in the 200m.
- Birthplace (November 3, 1906) of the mathematician and professor Carl Benjamin Boyer 
- Home of Ted Poley, Lead singer of the 80's Rock Band Danger Danger
- Solved episode titled "Sin" on Investigation Discovery network. This documentary profiles the murder of Hellertown resident Rhonda Smith, who was found dead in Trinity Lutheran Church at Springfield Township, Bucks County. (Original Airdate: August 31, 2009).
- Hellertown is mentioned in the Kurt Vonnegut novel Slaughterhouse Five"
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Dauben, Joseph Warren; Scriba, Christoph J. Writing the history of mathematics: its historical development, Birkhäuser, 2002. Cf. pp.380-381 for the biography of Boyer.
- Hellertown's Official website
- Saucon Valley Info (community website with events & organizations listed)
- Hellertown.com (a personal page with many Hellertown photos, maintained by a Hellertown resident).[dead link]