Heriot-Watt University Dubai
|Chancellor||Baroness Susan Greenfield CBE|
|Principal||Professor Steve Chapman|
|Vice Principal (Dubai)||Professor Ammar Kaka|
|Location||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
Heriot-Watt University Dubai is a branch campus of Heriot-Watt University based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Established in 2005, it was the first campus of an overseas university to open in Dubai International Academic City.
Heriot-Watt's Dubai campus opened in rented rooms in 2005 and was officially opened on 2 April 2006. It originally had 120 students, with plans to increase the number to 1,500 within 5 years. The pace of its expansion outstripped this projection, however, and by 2010 it had met its capacity of 2,000 students.
Heriot-Watt's Dubai Campus is located in Dubai International Academic City, approximately 20 minutes from the city's business district. Numerous facilities exist on campus, including computer labs, a library, supermarket, ice-cream parlour ,gym ,stationery ,food court and technical equipment for students in some engineering disciplines. University accommodation is provided in Mirdiff, around 15 minutes away from the site.
Student activities on campus are organized by the Student Council and the Student body at Heriot Watt University. The Student Council is head by the Student President, who is elected on an annual basis. The President chairs the Student Senate/Council which makes all major decisions on student activities.All events are student organized and a variety of on campus activities are prevalent such as Inter-Cluster activities, Ethnic Days, Scottish Highland Games, Charity drives, Picnics etc.
One of the first higher education providers to be licensed by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority in Dubai (KHDA), Heriot-Watt's degrees are also accredited by Royal Charter in the UK. While the Campus initially offered business, management and information technology courses, today it provides courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate level from each of the University's seven schools:
- The School of the Built Environment
- The School of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- The School of Life Sciences
- The School of Management and Languages
- The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
- The School of Textiles and Design
- Edinburgh Business School
The Dubai Campus maintains strong links with the UK, with students able to transfer to any Heriot-Watt campus in Britain at the end of each academic year.
- Heriot-Watt University
- Heriot-Watt University: Dubai study
- Universities and colleges in Dubai — comprehensive list of universities in Dubai and the UAE
- "The Southern Reporter: Students are part of global family.". Retrieved 05-07-2012.
- "The Scottish Government: New £35m Heriot-Watt campus in Dubai.". Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "The National: Heriot-Watt: From camels to a campus in just 5 years.". Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "The Scottish Government: Heriot-Watt opens in Dubai.". Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "The National: Heriot-Watt University plans to double student numbers.". Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "The Scotsman: Sun, sea and students: Heriot-Watt set to build £53m seat of learning in the desert.". Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "Heriot-Watt University: Dubai International Academic City". Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Heriot-Watt University: Facilities at Dubai Campus.". Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Heriot-Watt University: Accommodation at Dubai Campus.". Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Heriot-Watt University: Clubs and Activities at Dubai Campus.". Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- "Heriot-Watt University: About us — Dubai.". Retrieved 05-07-2012.
- "BBC News Scotland: Alex Salmond opens Heriot-Watt's new Dubai campus.". 2011-11-03. Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "Times Higher Education: Scottish internationalism: Salmond welcomes Heriot-Watt’s Dubai campus.". Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- "Heriot-Watt University: What Can I Study? — Dubai.". Retrieved 05-07-2012.