Huang Minglon (Traditional Chinese: 黃鳴龍; Simplified Chinese: 黄鸣龙; aka Huang Minglong, Huang Ming Long) (3 July 1898 - 1 July 1979), was a renowned Chinese organic chemist and pharmaceutical scientist. Huang is considered as a pioneer and founder of modern pharmaceutical industries in China.
 Huang was born in late Qing Dynasty in Yangzhou, Jiangsu Province on 3 July 1898. In 1917, Huang graduated from Yangzhou Middle School. In 1918, Huang graduated from the Zhejiang Provincial College of Medicine (current Zhejiang University School of Medicine).
In 1925, Huang went back to China and became a professor and later department head at Zhejiang Provincial College of Medicine.
During 1934-1940, Huang worked in research in Germany and the UK.
Huang came back to China in 1940 and became a senior researcher at Academia Sinica. Huang was also a professor at the National Southwestern Associated University (current Tsinghua University, Peking University and Nankai University).
In 1952, Huang came back to China. Huang served as the Head of Department of Chemistry, Academy of Military Medical Sciences of PLA. Huang was also a senior researcher at the (Shanghai) Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) (SIOC, the most prestigious institute for organic chemistry research in China).
Huang is regarded as one of pioneers and founders of modern pharmaceutical industries in China. Huang was a senior academician at the Chinese Academy of Sciences (1955 election). Huang was the Vice-president and later became the Honorary-president of the Chinese Society for Pharmaceutical Sciences (aka Chinese Pharmaceutical Association).
It's a short-cut for the Wolff-Kishner reduction and involves heating the carbonyl compound, potassium hydroxide, and hydrazine hydrate together in ethylene glycol in a one-pot reaction. Huang devised this modified synthesis in 1945 while he was in the United States.
Please also see de:Bild:tosylhydrazon.png, the shemetic indication of Huang Modification
In many sources, it's also mentioned such method as Wolff-Kishner-Huang Reduction (or Wolff-Kishner-Huang Minglon method/reaction/reduction), or in German Wolff-Kishner/Huang-Minlon Reduktion (or Wolff-Kishner-Huang-Minlon-Reduktion).
Please also check the German source: Variante nach Huang-Minlon
In some sources, people think Huang and Minlon are two different people. It's in fact a mistake, Huang is his family name and Minlon is his first name. Huang Minglon is the Wade-Giles spelling, and Huang Minglong is its Pinyin romanization of the Chinese characters in his name.
- Zhejiang Provincial College of Medicine
- Zhejiang Medical University
- Zhejiang University
- Wolff-Kishner reduction
- 百度百科 黄鸣龙 简介
- Huang Minglon's CV
- Huang-Minlon J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1946, 68, 2487.
- Huang-Minlon J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1949, 71, 3301.
- Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 4, p.510 (1963); Vol. 38, p.34 (1958)
- Huang Lonmin's CV, including his photo and publications
- Memorial website for Huang Minglon
- Huang Minglon's short biography at Baidu.com
- The Huang - Minlon Modification of Wolff - Kishner Reduction in Rapid and Simple Way Using Microwave Technology
- 中国人民解放军军事医学科学院 (Academy of Military Medical Sciences of PLA)
- 浙江大学医学院 (Zhejiang University School of Medicine)
- 中国科学院上海有机化学所 (Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences)
- 中国药学会 (Chinese Pharmaceutical Association)