Hurting Each Other
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008)|
|"Hurting Each Other"|
|Single by The Carpenters|
|from the album A Song for You|
|B-side||"Maybe It's You"|
|Released||December 23, 1971|
|The Carpenters singles chronology|
"Hurting Each Other" is a song popularized by The Carpenters in 1972. It was originally written by Gary Geld and Peter Udell in 1965, and was recorded multiple times by artists from Ruby and the Romantics to Rosemary Clooney.
One early version of the song was recorded by Jimmy Clanton and released in 1965 as a single on Mala Records. According to Richard Carpenter, this version of "Hurting Each Other" had a very different feel from the Carpenters' product. However there are definite similarities in the vocal refrain. Clanton's 1965 single of the song failed to chart.
Chad Allan & The Expressions, who later became The Guess Who, also recorded the song in 1965 on their Canadian LP, "Hey Ho (What You Do to Me)". Released as a single, the song hit #19 on the Canadian charts in early 1966.
In June 1966 a version by Ruth Lewis, produced by Udell and Geld, was released as a single by RCA Victor records.
The Carpenters recorded "Hurting Each Other" towards the end of 1971. Some footage of Richard and Karen performing the backup vocals can be seen on Jerry Dunphy Visits the Carpenters, when news anchor Jerry Dunphy went to Karen and Richard Carpenter's house and interviewed them and their parents about their life.
It was released as a single in late 1971 from the album A Song for You. It reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100 and number one on the Easy Listening chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 65 song for 1972.
The Carpenters performed "Hurting Each Other" at many live concerts, including a shortened version from the "Live in Osaka" concert in 1974.
- Karen Carpenter - lead and backing vocals
- Richard Carpenter - backing vocals, keyboards
- Joe Osborn - bass guitar
- Hal Blaine - drums
- Gary Coleman - percussion
|Canadian Singles Chart||2|
|Oricon (Japanese) Singles Chart||56|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Easy Listening||1|
- "Search result, ACE title search, Performers of "Hurting Each Other"". American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP). Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- "45 Discography For Mala Records". Discographies of 50's and 60's record labels. Global Dog Productions. Retrieved 2008-05-22.
- Song synopsis insert in Carpenters: Gold 35th Anniversary Edition
- "Artist: Ruth Lewis". Second Hand Songs. Retrieved 2013-10-02.
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1972