I'm in Here
|"I'm in Here"|
|Single by Sia|
|from the album We Are Born|
|Released||September 24, 2010|
|Genre||Pop, trip hop|
|Writer(s)||Sia Furler, Samuel Dixon|
|Sia singles chronology|
"I'm in Here" is a 2010 single from Sia's album We Are Born. The song was one of the songs 'made available for preview' on Sia's official YouTube channel in the weeks leading to the release of the album.
An interview in April revealed that when she wrote the song, she thought she might have had cyclothymia, which is low-level bipolar disorder, or a major anxiety disorder. Later in the interview, she added that on the day Samuel Dixon came over to write with her after a long time, she thought she "almost lost it" because she wasn't able to write anything in the first five minutes of their song-writing session. Dixon soon re-assured her that most people who he writes with usually takes days before anything comes up.
While the album We Are Born marked a change of style for Sia, with its emphasis on upbeat, "polished dance-pop", "I'm in Here" remains similar in style to Sia's song "Breathe Me" (made popular by the TV show Six Feet Under) and Sia's other work from the Colour the Small One era.
On some limited editions of the CD, there is also a "piano/vocal" version of 'I'm in Here'; a stripped back, piano-laden, harmony-driven version of the original.
The song was used in an episode of Gossip Girl (season 4, episode 2). It was also featured on an episode of The Secret Diary of a Call Girl. Also, the song was used in the ending scene in the third episode of the second season of Rookie Blue entitled Bad Moon Rising. The song has spawned a number of YouTube covers by modern acoustic folk artists like avex on YouTube and John & Lindsey on YouTube.
The music video for the song was directed by David Altobelli and released on 30 November 2010. The music video uses the acoustic piano/vocal version of the song. The "melancholy yet beautiful" video shows Sia sitting in an empty airplane as it flies through clouds.
In September 2012 the pional/vocal version was used on a St John's Ambulance advert in the UK which promotes and raises awareness for First Aid.
- (24 September 2010). See Sia In Here (A Top Story)
- Schadewald, Amber (13 April 2010)Powder room confessions with Sia. San Francisco Bay Guardian.
- Azzopardi, Chris (22 April 2010). Sia Gets Into the Groove..
- "BBC We Are Born Review". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- Smith, Jacqueline (15 July 2010). "Album Review: SIA We Are Born". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 4 October 2011.
- "Gossip Girl Music | Season 4 - Episode 17". Cwtv.com. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Rookie Blue - Music Lounge - ABC.com". Abc.go.com. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Exclusive: Sia". Venus Zine. 2010-11-30. Retrieved 2012-02-24.