He has frequently collaborated with fellow-Australian Sia Furler. His compositions have featured on her albums, Some People Have Real Problems, Colour the Small One and We Are Born. Dixon co-wrote the single "Clap Your Hands", from We Are Born, which was nominated for Best Single at the 2010 ARIA Music Awards and Song of the Year at the 2011 APRA Music Awards. He has played bass in Sia's live and studio band.
Dixon and Furler co-wrote four songs with Christina Aguilera for her 2010 album Bionic, including the second single, "You Lost Me", with Dixon producing the songs. Dixon produced and co-wrote "Bound to You" which Aguilera performed in the 2010 movie, Burlesque. "Bound to You" was nominated for the 2010 Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.
Dixon's primary instrument is the bass guitar. He plays bass for singer, Adele and appeared on Adele's Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD/CD including on the song Set Fire To The Rain which was awarded Best Solo Pop Performance at the Grammy Awards. His playing can also be heard on recordings such as "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae, "Warwick Avenue" by Duffy, Tom Jones' "Spirit in the Room" and "Ludlow Street" by Suzanne Vega. Dixon played bass for Directions in Groove in the 1990s.
- Review: Sia, We Are Born
- Musicians, fans rev up for ARIAs abc.net.au/news. Retrieved on 2010-11-25.
- The Man Behind the Songs The West Australian, Retrieved on 2011-06-22
- APRA AMCOS: Song of the Year - 2011 apra-amcox.com.au. Retrieved on 2011-05-27.
- AllMusic: Bound to You. AllMusic.com. Retrieved on 2010-11-25.
- Black Swan dives for golden glory AdelaideNow.com Retrieved on 2011-1-14.
- 'Choice Excerpts From Adele's Cover Story', www.rollingstone.com Retrieved on 04-19-2011
- Q & A: Sam Dixon, touring bassist for Adele, www.canculture.com, Retrieved 2011-06-22
- Discogs: Corinne Bailey Rae, Corinne Bailey Rae
- Discogs: Duffy, Rockferry
- Discogs: Suzanne Vega, Beauty & Crime
- McFarlane, Ian (1999). "Encyclopedia entry for 'd.i.g. (directions in groove)'". Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop. St Leonards, NSW: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 1-86508-072-1. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- Killackey, F. and Bampton, M. (2008) "Aussies Doing Us Proud", YEN magazine. Issue 36, p62 http://www.yenmag.net/backissues/36/
- BMG Songwriter: Samuel Dixon http://www.bmg.com/category/music/?artist=sam-dixon-2