|Stable release||126.96.36.19925 / September 18, 2012|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7|
|License||Proprietary (freeware, commercial)|
'Immunet' Protect Free is a free, cloud-based, community-driven antivirus application, using the ClamAV and own engine. The software is complementary with existing antivirus software. As of 5 January 2011, Immunet has been acquired by Sourcefire.
The application is very small, compared to other AntiVirus (AV) software, (10Mb on the disk) fast, free, and offers up-to-date protection against thousands of new threats daily (with at least 2,308,172 members protected from 34,550,977 threats as of June 15, 2012, numbers are sourced from what displays on the software's opening page). Virus signature files are stored in the cloud, not on individual computers, so update downloads are not required. Once a virus is detected and blocked for just one user, all other Immunet users receive the same protection, almost instantly.
Immunet as provided by Sourcefire comes in 2 versions:-
1. Immunet Free (Free for commercial and personal use)
2. Immunet Plus (Commercial, paid version)
Currently at version 3.0, Immunet Free offers basic protection based upon the virus definitions in the cloud, as well as an option to include the ClamAV off-line virus definitions for use when not connected to the Internet. The free version is advised to be used alongside another AV product from the list.
Immunet Plus offers additional features such as Advanced Offline Protection, Advanced detection and removal, Advanced File Management Protection, and Mail Database Scanning. Immunet Plus does not require another product for complete protection, as it uses the BitDefender scan engine to provide traditional anti-virus protection.
While independent testing has been performed, PCMag rates the product to be fair in its effectiveness. The memory and system usage of the product is pretty small, as its virus definitions lie on the cloud rather than in the user's computer. Cloud protection has been known to give better protection and detection, on the other hand, offline protection is not that good. Overall, the effectiveness of the Free product is average; the company recommends that users employ the Free product as an additional protection, rather than using it alone.
- Comparison of antivirus software
- List of computer viruses
- Panda Cloud Antivirus
- Friedrichs, Oliver. "Immunet Acquired by Sourcefire". Immunet. Archived from the original on 10 April 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Sourcefire Announces Acquisition of Immunet". Columbia, MD. Business Wire. 5 January 2011. Archived from the original on 10 April 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Free Antivirus Software Download and Endpoint Security". Immunet. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "Clam AntiVirus". Clamav.net. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "Immunet Protect 2.0 Requirements & Compatible Security Package List : Immunet Support Site". Support.immunet.com. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Rubenking, Neil J. "Immunet Protect Free 2.0". PC Magazine.
- Download Immunet Protect Free on ClamAV.net
- Download Immunet Protect Free on CNet.com
- Rosenblatt, Seth. "Cloud security upstart Immunet aims for antiviruses". cNET. June 17, 2010. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- Rubenking, Neil j. "Immunet Protect Free 2.0". PC Magazine. June 17, 2010. Retrieved July 1, 2010.