|Stable release||22.214.171.12425 / September 18, 2012|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7|
|License||Proprietary (freeware, commercial)|
'Immunet' Protect Free is a free, cloud-based, community-driven antivirus application, using the ClamAV and own engine. The software is complementary with existing antivirus software. On 5 January 2011 it was announced that Immunet had been acquired by Sourcefire.
The application occupies 10MB of disk space, is free of charge, and claims to be fast and to provide up-to-date protection against threats. Virus signature files are stored in the cloud, not on individual computers, so update downloads are not required. Once a virus is detected and blocked for one user, all other Immunet users receive the same protection almost instantly.
Immunet as provided by Sourcefire comes in 2 versions:-
1. Immunet Free (Free for commercial and personal use)
2. Immunet Plus (Commercial, paid version)
At version 3.0 as of 2014[update], Immunet Free offers protection based upon the virus definitions in the cloud, and an option to include the ClamAV off-line virus definitions for use when not connected to the Internet. Immunet advises that the free version be used alongside another antivirus program, and supports several particular such programs in the sense that that they co-install properly and work in tandem during normal operations without any obvious interference or resource drag.
Immunet Plus offers additional features such as Advanced Offline Protection, Advanced detection and removal, Advanced File Management Protection, and Mail Database Scanning. Immunet Plus does not require another product for complete protection, as it uses the BitDefender scan engine to provide conventional anti-virus protection.
While independent testing has been performed, PCMag rates the product to be fair in its effectiveness. Immunet's virus definitions are stored on servers available over the Internet, requiring less memory and system resource than antivirus programs that reside on the user's computer. Cloud protection has been known to give better protection and detection, on the other hand, offline protection is not particularly good. Overall, the effectiveness of the Free product is average; the company recommends that users employ the Free product as an additional protection, rather than using it alone.
- Comparison of antivirus software
- List of computer viruses
- Panda Cloud Antivirus
- Friedrichs, Oliver. "Immunet Acquired by Sourcefire". Immunet. Archived from the original on 10 April 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Sourcefire Announces Acquisition of Immunet". Columbia, MD. Business Wire. 5 January 2011. Archived from the original on 10 April 2011. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Free Antivirus Software Download and Endpoint Security". Immunet. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "Clam AntiVirus". Clamav.net. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- "Immunet Protect 2.0 Requirements & Compatible Security Package List : Immunet Support Site". Support.immunet.com. Retrieved 2012-08-23.
- Rubenking, Neil J. "Immunet Protect Free 2.0". PC Magazine.
- Download Immunet Protect Free on ClamAV.net
- Download Immunet Protect Free on CNet.com
- Rosenblatt, Seth. "Cloud security upstart Immunet aims for antiviruses". cNET. June 17, 2010. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
- Rubenking, Neil j. "Immunet Protect Free 2.0". PC Magazine. June 17, 2010. Retrieved July 1, 2010.