Comodo Internet Security
Comodo Internet Security version 6.0 Premium on Windows XP
|Stable release||7.0.317799.4142 (April 17, 2014[±][Note 1])|
|Operating system||Windows XP and later; with antivirus-only versions for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, RHEL, Mint, CentOS, OpenSUSE|
|Platform||IA-32 and x64|
|Type||Antivirus, Personal firewall, Intrusion prevention system|
Comodo Internet Security (CIS), developed by Comodo Group, is an Internet security suite for Microsoft Windows. It includes an antivirus program, a personal firewall, a sandbox and a host-based intrusion prevention system (HIPS) called Defense+. Comodo Internet Security initially received mixed reviews; it was generally praised for its firewall and its value for price, but criticized for its poor antivirus detection. Over time, however, its antivirus component received better reviews.
Comodo Internet Security (CIS) is available in three editions: Complete, Pro and a core free edition. The core edition is free, but does not come with any live technical support. The Pro edition adds technical support. The Complete edition complements the feature set with encryption of transmitted data over the Internet connections and online storage for backup.
In CIS 5.0 cloud antivirus protection and spyware scanning capabilities were added. As it could not clean all the malware it found effectively, Comodo Cleaning Essentials was developed to supplement CIS.
Host-based intrusion prevention system: Comodo's host-based intrusion prevention system (HIPS), named Defense+, is designed to provide protection against unknown malware. It is designed to restrict the actions of unknown applications, and restrict access to important files, folders, settings and the Windows Registry. Defense+ by default refuses any unknown program to install or execute except when specifically allowed by the user or when the file appears on Comodo's whitelist. In CIS 4.0 a sandbox was added to Defense+ to isolate and run unknown applications.
CIS v6, released February 2013, provided a major revision of the user interface and significant new features such as a fully sandboxed desktop environment. On March 6, 2014 Comodo announced completion of beta testing for CIS v7. Release 7 became official in April 2014. This release includes a new virus monitoring tool called Virus Scope and Web Filtering features that provide control over user access to web content
PC Magazine lead security analyst, Neil J. Rubenking, reviewed Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 and Comodo Internet Security 3.5 on 3 November 2008, giving 4.5 out of 5 to the first and 2.5 to the second. He praised the suite's firewall capabilities but criticized its antimalware capabilities. On 28 May 2009, Roboert Vamosi of PC World reviewed Comodo Internet Security 3.8 and gave it a score of 1 out of 5, criticizing it for its "disappointing malware detection" based on AV-TEST result and "limited feature set".
Three years and three version later, Comodo Antivirus results became significantly better. On 30 January 2012, Rubenking reviewed Comodo Internet Security 2012 Pro (v5.0), giving it 4 stars out of 5. He praised its support service and antimalware features but was panned for its "effectively off by default" firewall, Defense+ popups, lack of parental control, antispam, antiphishing, and privacy protection features, and finally for the same old reason: "Low ratings from independent labs".
In a 9 January 2013 review, Techworld awarded Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 4 of 5 stars and concluded "Cloud-based scanning and behaviour analysis joins a suite of top-notch security tools, designed to keep your PC secure. Recommended." Also on the same date, Mike Williams of BetaNews.com reviewed Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 and concluded "The program remains too complex for total PC beginners, we suspect. The average user will appreciate its largely automatic operation, though, while experts enjoy the powerful tools and extreme configurability."
On 7 February 2013, Comodo Internet Security Complete v6 earned the PC Magazine Editor's Choice award. Reviewing the software again, Neil J. Reubenking gave it a score 4.5 of 5 stars, commended its support service, VPN solution, DNS service and value for price but criticized its behavior blocker and its poor anti-phishing capabilities. Reubenking concluded "The biggest win for Comodo Internet Security Complete 2013 isn't in features, but in support. The GeekBuddy service fixes any problem, security or otherwise, using remote assistance. A Virus-Free Guarantee reimburses you for damage if malware gets past Comodo; you can also get reimbursed for expenses related to identity theft. Add a GeekBuddy-powered tuneup tool and an unusually powerful backup utility and you've got a winner."
In October 2013, TopTenReviews.com reviewed the Comodo Internet Security 2014 Complete edition and gave it a score of 9.18 out of 10. Their review notes that the firewall component is their Gold Award winner for best firewall protection. However, they also comment on the lack of brand name recognition for Comodo's product.
Independent test labs
AV-TEST a test lab based in Germany tested Comodo in three categories: protection, repair and usability. Products that surpass the industry standard (measured by the mean score of the participating products) are awarded a certificate. Comodo Internet Security participated in their tests since 2010 and for the first time in February 2013, Comodo Internet Security Premium 2013 obtained the AV-TEST certificate in the field of home products. In this test, CIS obtained a score 3.5 out of 6.0 for protection, 3.5 for performance and 3.0 for usability on Windows 8. In their March-April 2013 tests of 26 antivirus products, Comodo Internet Security Premium scored 6.0 for protection, 4.0 for performance and 2.5 for usability. The tests were conducted on Windows XP. In their May-June 2013 tests of 26 antivirus products, Comodo Internet Security Premium scored 6 for protection, 5.5 for performance and 3.5 for usability. The tests were conducted on Windows 7.
On 18 January 2013, Matousec, an independent tester of security software, analyzed 38 security products for their proactive defense capabilities and ranked Comodo Internet Security 2013 Premium (v6) number one. Comodo Internet Security 2013 was tested on Windows 7 SP1 with Internet Explorer 9 and passed 101 out of 110 tests (92%). It was also ranked number 1 in 2012.
- Release Notes are issued for most versions of Comodo Internet Security, and report the version number. However, since they are not issued for all releases, the only way to reliably determine the most recent version is to download the package.
- "Comodo Internet Security". www.comodo.com website. Comodo Group. December 29, 2010. Retrieved 23 January 2012.
- "Comodo Internet Security". Comodo website (www.comodo.com). Comodo Group. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "Antivirus for Mac - Complete Virus Protection". comodo.com. Comodo Group. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Virus Protection - Comodo Antivirus for Linux". comodo.com. Comodo Group. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "COMODO Internet Security: Free Download". Softpedia. SoftNews SRL. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "Comodo Anti-Malware Database - Latest additions". Comodo website. Comodo Software. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Comodo Internet Security. Comodo https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/internet-security-complete.php
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Mediati, Nick (3 May 2012). "Comodo Internet Security Premium 5.9 review". PC Advisor. IDG. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Hickins, Michael (16 April 2009). "Microsoft Trying To Change Its Security Identity". BNET Technology Blog. Industry.bnet.com. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- Rubenking,, Neil J. (18 December 2007). "Comodo Firewall Pro 3". PC Magazine. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Rubenking,, Neil J. (3 November 2008). "Comodo Internet Security 3.5". PC Magazine. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Vamosi, Robert (28 May 2009). "Comodo Internet Security Pro 3.8". PC World. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- Rubenking, Neil J. (30 January 2012). "Comodo Internet Security Pro 2012". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 (v6.1)". TechWorld. IDG. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Williams, Mike (9 January 2013). "Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 [Review]". BetaNews. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Rubenking, Neil J. (7 February 2013). "Comodo Internet Security Complete 2013". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Home User: Comodo". av-test.org. AV-TEST. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Comodo: Internet Security Premium – Jan-Feb/2013". av-test.org. AV-TEST. February 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Comodo: Internet Security Premium – Mar-Apr/2013". av-test.org. AV-TEST. April 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "The Independent IT-Security Institute: May-Jun/2013". av-test.org. AV-TEST. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Comodo Internet Security Premium 6.0.260739.2674". Proactive Security Challenge 64 report. Matousec. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "Proactive Security Challenge 64". matousec.com. Matousec. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Proactive Security Challenge". matousec.com. Matousec. 13 January 2012. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Official website
- Matousec Software Firewall Test Rankings
- Snapfiles 2012 review of Comodo Internet Security