Imperial County Airport
|Imperial County Airport
|IATA: IPL – ICAO: KIPL – FAA LID: IPL|
|Serves||Imperial / El Centro|
|Location||Imperial County, California|
|Elevation AMSL||-54 ft / -16 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Imperial County Airport (IATA: IPL, ICAO: KIPL, FAA LID: IPL) is a county-owned public-use airport in Imperial County, California, United States. Also known as Boley Field, it is mostly used for general aviation, but has scheduled passenger service from one commercial airline, subsidized by the Essential Air Service program.
The airport is located one nautical mile (2 km) south of the central business district of Imperial, California, partially in the City of Imperial and partially in an unincorporated area of Imperial County. It serves nearby communities, including El Centro.
As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 7,061 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 5,641 enplanements in 2009, and 4,752 in 2010. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a non-primary commercial service airport (between 2,500 and 10,000 enplanements per year).
Facilities and aircraft
Imperial County Airport covers an area of 370 acres (150 ha) at an elevation of 54 feet (16 m) below mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 14/32 is 5,304 by 100 feet (1,617 x 30 m) and 8/26 is 4,500 by 75 feet (1,372 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2011, the airport had 14,589 aircraft operations, an average of 39 per day: 71% general aviation, 10% scheduled commercial, 2% air taxi, and 17% military. At that time there were 47 aircraft based at this airport: 83% single-engine, 8.5% multi-engine, and 8.5% helicopter.
Airlines and destinations
The following airline offers scheduled passenger service:
|SeaPort Airlines||Burbank, San Diego|
- FAA Airport Master Record for IPL ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- "Imperial city, California." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 26, 2009.
- "Pilot Who Left Note in Airplane Hunted." Los Angeles Times. May 19, 1970. 3. Retrieved on September 26, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket DOT-OST-2008-0299) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Order 2008-12-26: selecting SkyWest Airlines, Inc., d/b/a United Express, to provide essential air service at El Centro/Imperial, California, at an annual subsidy rate of $662,551 through December 31, 2010.
- Order 2010-12-6: selecting SkyWest Airlines, Inc., d/b/a United Express, to provide essential air service at El Centro, California, at an annual subsidy rate of $1,852,091 through December 31, 2012.
- Airport page at Imperial County web site
- Aerial image as of May 2002 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective May 30, 2013
- FAA Terminal Procedures for IPL, effective May 30, 2013
- Resources for this airport: